IBS invites applicants for the position of Associate Director who are senior-level researchers with high research potential and are able to run his or her own research group in collaboration with the directors within their Research Centers.
1. Introduction of the research center
- Center for Advanced Reaction Dynamics (CARD) is one of the newly established campus centers by the Institute for Basic Science. The center is directed by Prof. Hyotcherl Ihee, currently located at KAIST. The center endeavors to reveal the fundamental principles underlying various chemical and biological reactions toward the goal of fully controlling the reactions. Key topics of the center include the following: Reaction mechanisms of chemical and biological reactions; ultrafast structural dynamics using ultrashort x-ray or electron pulses and time-resolved spectroscopy; development of time-resolved experimental and data analysis methods for molecular structural dynamics; and reaction dynamics and mechanisms using theoretical calculations and molecular dynamics simulations.
- For more information, visit https://www.iheelab.com/.
2. Job description
- Associate directors will serve important roles in assisting the founding director to achieve the goal of the research center as well as directing his or her own research group within the center. The specific field of research solicited for the associate director is molecular structural dynamics using ultrafast X-ray spectroscopy.
- Applicants should have a strong record of scholarly achievement at the national and international level, a significant record of securing external funding for interdisciplinary-based research and evidence of leadership ability in his/her research field.
- The candidates must have experience managing a large research program and staff within an academic institution (or equivalent agency responsible for research) and be able to articulate a strong vision to further the research and outreach programs in IBS.
- The successful candidates should be able to acquire full professor level positions at the university hosting the founding director.
3. Requirements for the position
- All candidates must be able to commit themselves completely in the long-term to IBS research activities.
- All candidates must be able to manage their respective research groups in collaboration with the director of the Center.
- The candidate should be recognized as one of the leaders in the international community of his or her research field.
- The candidate of associate director must be fluent enough in the relevant scientific and policy issues to be a highly credible representative of the Center among audiences ranging from the general public to the uppermost levels of scientists and policymakers. The position calls for vision, breadth, and good judgment; proven intellectual leadership skills; a keen sense of public policy, as well as demonstrated financial and staff management experience.
- Authority to run his/her own research team.
- Sizable independent research budget (the successful candidate may negotiate with the director of the Center to finalize the size of his/her research budget and how to set up his/her budget account if necessary).
- Tenured or permanent position in accordance with negotiations with the Host University (currently KAIST)
5. General Selection Procedure
1) Recruitment of applicants by public advertisement
2) Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation
3) Symposium and in-depth interview by the in-depth evaluation panel
4) Decision by the SEC(Selection & Evaluation Committee) about a recommendation
5) Negotiation with the director
6) Appointment by the president
6. Application Submission
- Please download the application form, fill out in English and email it as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 13, 2022.
- The E-mail title needs to be [Applicant name_CARD (Name of the Research Center)]
7. Download Link for Application
[ Contact Information ]
HAN SANGJI, Center for Advanced Reactopm Dynamics
Institute for Basic Science
(34141) KAIST Basic Science Institute (E6-6), Daejeon, Korea
Hyojin JANG, Research Evaluation Team
Division of Research Service
Institute for Basic Science
(34126) 55, Expo-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, Korea
* For more information, please visit IBS website (www.ibs.re.kr).