The Department for “Molecular Genetics of Ageing” headed by director Prof. Dr. Adam Antebi
is looking for a full-time Scientific Coordinator (m/f/div)
(job code 11-2022)
The Antebi Department for “Molecular Genetics of Ageing” investigates evolutionarily conserved, convergent mechanisms of longevity, mostly using the worm Caenorhabditis elegans and killifish Notobranchius furzeri as model organisms, as well as cell culture, mouse and human studies. Projects in our department aim to unravel how nucleolar function, organellar communication, lipid and metabolite signaling, fasting / refeeding mechanisms, RNA signaling and innate immunity, contribute to cellular vitality and organismal longevity. We apply a multidisciplinary approach combining genetics, systems biology, cell and molecular biology, imaging, biochemistry, and mass spectrometry in order to understand the biology of ageing and age-related disease, and pinpoint novel therapeutic targets for healthy ageing.
We seek a highly motivated person with a strong scientific background to work closely with the department head and join an enthusiastic and collaborative team in an outstanding scientific environment. The applicant should have an interest in research, administration, and excellent written and oral communication skills. The working language is bilingual. German / English and a fluent knowledge of both the German and English language (oral and written) is required.
Your tasks include
- management of scientific projects, mentorship of early career researchers
- general scientific administrative duties, correspondence and documentation in German and English
- planning and coordination of staffing and hiring activities
- support in scientific writing, e.g., research grants, scientific reports, manuscripts, animal permits
- management of the department’s finances, including grant reporting
- administration of approved grants, protocols and other lab documentation
- liaising with the institute administration and scientific services, internal and external collaborators
- maintaining the department’s social media presence: keeping the twitter account and website up to date, collaborating with the PR office on press releases
Your qualifications should include
- successfully completed studies in the life sciences with a PhD degree and postdoctoral experience, ideally including some international experience
- knowledge of mouse work and cell culture
- experience in supervising and mentoring of students
- high measure of responsibility, organizational talent, motivation, and team spirit
- very good knowledge of both German and English
- experience in science administration is a plus but not mandatory
The Max Planck Institute for Biology of Ageing was founded in 2008 with the mission to unravel fundamental mechanisms of healthy ageing. It is part of a broad network of institutions in the Cologne-Bonn area dedicated to research on ageing and age-related disease, constituting a vibrant and collaborative environment. Equipped with state-of-the-art core facilities, the institute provides outstanding opportunities for its scientists. At the moment we host 350 employees – including guest scientists – from 30 different nations.
The employment contract will be based on contracts for the civil service (TVöD Bund, Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst) and will initially be time-limited. The Max Planck Society endeavours to achieve gender equality and diversity, and therefore seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and explicitly encourages women to apply. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of employees with severe disabilities in its workforce. Applications from persons with severe disabilities are expressly desired.
Are you interested?
Then please upload your complete application documents, containing a one-page letter with a personal statement describing your scientific accomplishments and your interests in the position, your CV and bibliography as well as contact information for three references, in electronic form as one single PDF file via our online application platform. The position is advertised until the position is filled.
For further information about the Institute and the Antebi Department please see www.age.mpg.de.