Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what's possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in South San Francisco, CA:
Principal/Sr Principal Scientist, Advanced Cell Engineering
Relocation benefits are available for this job posting
The Molecular Biology Department is seeking a Principal/Sr Principal Scientist (group leader) to expand our world-class cell engineering platform. This team will help enable Genentech’s Translational Genomics efforts, which span the interface of human genetics, functional genomics, molecular biology, cellular and tissue profiling, disease model engineering, and advanced computational methodology. Genentech provides an exceptional and well-funded research environment composed of internationally recognized leaders as well as state-of-the-art core facilities with cutting edge technologies and computational resources to support all research programs.
The Principal/Sr Principal Scientist will oversee our Advanced Cell Engineering (ACE) hub. The ACE hub is comprised of expert cell/molecular/developmental biologists and genome engineers, all focused on creating disease model systems and developing new technologies for exploratory or pre-clinical research. In addition, the successful candidate will hire research staff in order to build an induced pluripotent stem cell/iPSC and complex cell model engineering pipeline with the goal of improving our understanding of human biology and discovering new therapeutic opportunities. Therefore, demonstrated expertise in the creation and/or application of in vitro systems (i.e. cell lines, organoids, iPSCs) is critical. Practical experience with in vitro model development for neurodegeneration, regenerative medicine, infectious disease, and/or oncology is desirable. Candidates with an eagerness to work within a team-driven, dynamic research environment will be prioritized.
In addition to direct collaborations with our therapeutic area leaders, the successful candidate will establish an independent research program with the goal of informing early and late-stage clinical pipeline efforts. The Principal/Sr Principal Scientist will interface with Genentech’s next-generation sequencing (NGS), functional genomics, cell and tissue profiling, and bioinformatics teams to enhance our analytical capabilities, and incorporate cutting-edge, large-scale genetic screening or single-cell technologies to reveal the underlying mechanisms of human disease.
- PhD in Genetics, Molecular Biology, Developmental Biology, Biochemistry, Oncology, Infectious Disease, Regenerative Medicine, Neuroscience, or related field
- 10+ years of post-degree experience in similar fields
- 5+ years of experience establishing disease models from human iPSCs or primary cell types; hands-on experience with both 2D and 3D co-cultures a plus
- Practical expertise with advanced genome editing tools (CRISPR, RNAi, protein degrons, etc.) and application for precision engineering (gene knock-out/in) or functional genomic screens
- A sustained, impactful record of scientific achievement, as evidenced by publications, patents, and presentations
- Experience developing or analyzing single cell assays (RNA, ATAC, spatial transcriptomics, etc.) is advantageous
- Demonstrated leadership capability both within and across teams
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills
- Build/Lead a foundational cell model engineering unit to drive Translational Genomics-related programs covering a range of therapeutic areas
- Routine engagement with Genentech group leaders and Model Project Teams to co-develop research and technology-focused programs
- Regular and effective communication with internal and external partners
- Identify, evaluate, and engage new CRO or partnering opportunities to enhance throughput
- Collaborate effectively with informatics and software development teams
- Incorporate state-of-the-art screening, imaging, and/or automation solutions for stem cell culture and method development
- Establish an industry-leading, externally-recognized research program, publish discoveries in high-impact journals, attend and present at conferences
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer, and we embrace the increasingly diverse world around us. Genentech prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status and veteran status.
Genentech requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Genentech, and it applies regardless of whether the position is located at a Genentech campus or is fully remote. If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to a disability or serious medical condition, or because it is prohibited as a result of your sincerely held religious beliefs, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.
Who We Are?
Genentech, a member of the Roche group and founder of the biotechnology industry, is dedicated to pursuing groundbreaking science to discover and develop medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. To solve the world's most complex health challenges, we ask bigger questions that challenge our industry and the boundaries of science to transform society. Our transformational discoveries include the first targeted antibody for cancer and the first medicine for primary progressive multiple sclerosis.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) are critical to the success of our company and our impact on society. We believe that by championing diversity of background, thought and experience, we can foster a sense of belonging and provide an environment where every employee feels valued, included, and able to contribute their best for the patients we serve. We’re focused on attracting, retaining, developing and advancing our people to their full potential by rewarding bold ways of thinking and integrating inclusive behaviors into every aspect of our work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply for this job" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
If you are in need of an accommodation due to a disability to assist with submitting your application or at any point during the hiring process, please email US.firstname.lastname@example.org.