About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
The Manager, Facilities General Maintenance oversees operations and maintenance for the clinical, research and laboratory, and GMP manufacturing facilities of the City of Hope Enterprise, managing all the complex building systems and equipment. The Manager, Facilities General Maintenance will provide program leadership support, decision making and management of work requirements within this division utilizing a skilled team in an environment that requires flexibility, adaptability, and responsiveness.
The Manager shall demonstrate and apply highly developed interpersonal, analytical and communication (written and verbal) skills the ability to manage complex programs in a diverse and dynamic environment with short-notice tasking's under high pressure situations.
The manager provides and applies technical knowledge regarding building maintenance, and building systems; Air conditioning and heating systems, building automatic control systems, water distribution, fire protection, sanitary and storm sewer operations, piped medical gases, electrical distribution, etc.
Poses working knowledge of California Building Codes, NFPA and accreditation standards.Key Responsibilities include:Major Duties & Responsibilities
The following are essential job accountabilities:
- The Manager, Facilities General Maintenance will have full responsibility for assuring performance and operations to the clinical, research and laboratory, and GMP manufacturing systems and will ensure that the City of Hope Enterprise services objectives and standards identified by the Engineering and Maintenance management are met at all times.
- Oversee routine maintenance and Preventive Maintenance of the clinical, research and laboratory, and GMP manufacturing facilities systems throughout the Enterprise in the Duarte Campus and off-site locations.
- Provides and applies practical knowledge regarding building maintenance, water distribution, fire protection, sanitary and storm sewer operations, piped medical gases, pneumatic tube system, work with central plan engineers on issues related to chilled water and steam distribution systems.
- Provides technical support and knowledge to support the engineering team by diagnosing, troubleshooting, and resolving problems associated with the operation and repair of equipment, utilities, and building systems.
- Requires the ability to analyze the operation of various site infrastructure systems, determine the root cause of any problem / malfunctions and take corrective action as required.
- Provide management oversight 24/7 to the Facilities Engineering team and provides training and guidance to the Engineering & Maintenance teams and aims to expand the capabilities in preventive maintenance, operations, engineering systems improvements, equipment replacement and utilities usage to assure operation of all facilities equipment.
- Develop, implement and periodically review programs to maintain the equipment through effective utilization of personnel and materials.
- Provide oversight to ensure key operational performance and electrical and/or solar energy measurements and are collected, analyzed and reported through the City of Hope Enterprise.
- Develop and implement emergency procedures, to include an essential personnel team available to respond to emergencies
- Ensure full compliance with all site policies and procedures to include updates to As-Built, Outage Requests and other project related procedures
- Support collaboration to continually present integrated solutions across the facilities teams, contracts, stakeholders and customers
- Recommend, develop, implement, establish and enforce procedures and programs to increase efficiency and cost effectiveness
- Monitor costs, including labor time and material of staff and vendors.
- Communicate and enforce Safety and Health Management Program-Demonstrate commitment to an Injury-Free Environment through own actions and mentoring others.
- Manage schedules, including preparation of detailed short-term schedules and ensuring all activities take place on or ahead of scheduled dates.
- Provide direction to and resolve problems amongst the team including subcontractors and vendors.
- Ability to identify deficient work and provide resolution.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Provide the appropriate resources and leadership to ensure the continued support, safe operation and maintenance of the entire City of Hope Enterprise.
- Participates in planning for facilities and equipment, including maintenance and repair programs. Evaluates, and recommends equipment and systems for replacement or upgrades, improvements for inclusion in operating and capital budgets.
- Develops project scope, schedule and budgetary estimates.
- Monitors workloads and allocates resources to meet project requirements within established budgets. Keeps management team abreast of status and communicates important changes in a timely manner.
- Utilize facilities management system and project software to identify, schedule, track, and generally document service and project activities.
- Ensure that service and project activities remain in compliance with relevant regulatory and accreditation agencies. Maintain documentation and information as required to demonstrate compliance with TJC, SCAQMD, NFPA, EPA, LA County Fire, National Electrical Code state and local building regulations and other agencies upon request.
- Ensure adequate coverage and scheduling to fill 24-hour/day, 7-day/week requirement for maintenance personnel as business needs.
- High School Diploma
- Journeymen Certification/ Trade School Diploma
- Six (6) years in trade verifiable directly relevant experience or 4 years directly relevant military experience.
- Minimum two years' experience at the Lead level, or higher.
- Ability to plan and execute projects and service activities.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of building systems and general maintenance, ability to read blueprints and schematics for buildings, equipment and systems.
- Maintenance and repair knowledge of complex HVAC, plumbing. Electrical, Mechanical and Pneumatic Tube Systems.
- Must exhibit clear written and oral communication, excellent organization skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Capable of working independently, requiring little direction
- Engineering and Facilities management courses; Completion of an approved electrician apprenticeship
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Journeymen Certification or Trade School Diploma and Ca. State License
- Bachelor's degree
- Hospital and Research facilities operations
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. #LI-RA