The Immunology department at MD Anderson Cancer Center seeks to determine the fundamental cellular and molecular mechanisms of a wide range of processes by which the body recognizes and eliminates pathogens and use these findings to unleash the patient's own immune system against previously treatment-resistant cancers. Treating the immune system rather than the cancer itself, the therapeutics developed are applicable to many cancers.Key FunctionsTissue Culture
- Maintain and establish tissue culture cell lines, which requires good sterile technique and ability to determine cell counts and cell viability using microscope and hemocytometer.
- Prepare sterile media and solutions.
- Monitor, order and shelve tissue culture supplies.
- Prepare cells for cryogenic storage and subsequent re-establishment of viable cell lines.
- Pack and mail cell lines to collaborators using dry ice.
- Some protocols require work on weekends/holidays and time away must be coordinated with other staff to ensure cell lines are maintained.
- Responsible for organization of laboratory animals, including ordering and maintenance of up-to-date animal inventory in mLIMS.
- Setting up breedings, transferring cages between rooms, genotyping mice via PCR of DNA isolated from ear punches, collection of blood samples, injections and dissections.
- Experience with tail vein injections is a plus.
- Conduct experiments in immunological research, including in vivo (lymphocyte and other isolations) and in vitro measurements of immune function (immunofluorescent staining, T cell assays).
- Calculates molarity and accurately prepares media solutions and reagents, using pH meter, balances, flow cytometry, electrophoresis apparatus, the use of acids and polyacrylamide solutions, flammable materials and other biohazards according to OSHA and institutional safety policies.
- Maintains lab work area and lab equipment, monitoring it daily to ensure the lab operates safely, is clean, and all equipment is in good working order, understands correct operation of all lab equipment and follows written instructions/operations manuals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintains detailed written reports of experimental data and protocols, communicating results and/or potential problems with experiments to supervisor.
- Responsible for ordering lab supplies for the lab.
Required: Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Preferred: Master's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.Experience
Required: Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html