Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security. The Accelerator Operations and Technology (AOT) Division is seeking a Division Leader/R&D Manager to work closely with the Associate Laboratory Director to provide leadership, vision, strategy, tactical planning and management for high-quality research and development. The AOT division is responsible for operating and maintaining the Los Alamos Neutron Science Center (LANSCE) accelerator complex, which includes an 800 MeV proton linear accelerator, a proton storage ring, moderated and unmoderated neutron spallation targets and five experimental areas. We will rely on you to:
- Provide visionary scientific and technical leadership and management of the Division's staff, activities and facilities, in a group with 160 researchers and staff executing a portfolio of over $100 million per year
- Lead the division developing and implementing accelerator improvements to support future experimental enhancements and accelerator missions
- Serve as a liaison in maintaining effective working relationships with leadership in the AOT Division, other directorates and accelerator facilities around the world
- Develop personnel, recruit and retain critical staff, control costs, handle community relations and support diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering.
- 15 years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience leading operating user facilities, beam delivery systems, target maintenance and operations and protective systems with high levels of formality of operations
- Demonstrated experience managing an organization conducting research in accelerator science, technology and engineering
- Proven record of developing and implementing a strategic vision to foster and advance long-term research and development
- Strong ability to recruit, retain and develop staff
- Ability to obtain a Q-clearance, which typically requires US citizenship
- Doctorate’s degree in accelerator physics, engineering or a related discipline and experience in relevant technical areas
- Knowledge of the experimental accelerator capabilities across the nation's nuclear weapons complex
- Knowledge of external funding agencies (DOE, NNSA, DoD, DHS, etc.), including significant experience and engagement with programmatic sponsors (programmatic interaction, strategy development and/or change of station)
- Ability to obtain an SCI clearance
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation and achievement. It’s one of the reasons we attract world-class talent who contribute greatly to our outstanding culture. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our onsite cafeterias and medical, fitness and breastfeeding facilities, education assistance and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth. Northern New Mexico offers an abundance of wildlife, culture and adventures, including hiking trails and nearby ski resorts. Learn why Los Alamos has been rated #3 in the Best Counties to Live in the USA.
Apply now: lanl.jobs, search IRC102516
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.