Postdoctoral associate position
A postdoctoral position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Velvet Journigan at the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy. Our drug discovery efforts are aimed at correcting defects in sensory perception to cold in neuropathic pain states. The lab combines structure-based drug design, synthetic medicinal chemistry, and biochemical approaches to discover novel ligands. Recent publications and patents include: ACS Med. Chem. Lett. 12 :758–767 (2021); ACS Chem. Neurosci. 11: 268–290 (2020); WO 2020160464 A1. Successful candidates should have a PhD in medicinal or organic chemistry and a high level of self-motivation. Candidates with computational experience are preferred.
We are seeking an individual with the following expertise and qualifications:
- must have expertise in designing synthetic routes and varied multi-step organic synthesis
- experience in structural characterization including NMR, mass spec, LC-MS, HPLC, CHN is essential
- experience with structure-based drug design using cryo-EM or x-ray structures of biological targets, computational experience is desirable
- must have demonstrated independent ability to design and execute experiments, prepare figures of results, analyze & interpret those results, and present them in a professional scientific manner
- individual must have experience in performing literature searches and can assist with scientific writing (manuscripts and grant proposals); meticulous record-keeping of research work is required
- good verbal and interpersonal skills are also necessary; individuals may be required to assist and guide graduate students and other post-docs in the lab.
Please apply through the University of Pittsburgh Talent Center at www.join.pitt.edu, requisition number 22002835. Also, please email your CV, cover letter, and contact information for three references to Dr. Velvet Journigan (email@example.com), Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer and values equality of opportunity, human dignity and diversity, EOE, including disability/vets.
About the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy:
The University of Pittsburgh ranks #3 in the nation in NIH funding. Pitt Pharmacy ranks #5 in total research funding among schools of pharmacy and is a leader in education, research, and practice. It is one of six schools of the health sciences that are located with nine other schools on the Oakland (main) campus of the University of Pittsburgh. The School of Pharmacy partners with UPMC, which is one of the leading integrated health care delivery networks in the country; the partnership include research, state-of-the-art pharmacy services, patient care and teaching. For more information about the School of Pharmacy, visit http://www.pharmacy.pitt.edu.
About Pittsburgh: https://www.coolpgh.pitt.edu/