The mission of The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation, and the world through outstanding programs that integrate patient care, research and prevention, and through education for undergraduate and graduate students, trainees, professionals, employees and the public.
The Genomics Medicine Research Department is recruiting highly intelligent and motivated individuals to participate in cutting-edge genomics research focusing on cancer genetics. This individual will be tasked with supporting computational analyses for ongoing experimental projects in various departments at MD Anderson Cancer Center. The successful candidate will be mentored by senior computational scientists to work closely with biologists/clinicians studying cancers using next generation sequencing for cancer cell genome characterization, The candidate will have solid genomic data analysis experience and is willing to acquire experience in cancer biology and genomics.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
•Assist in the analysis and development of pipelines, algorithms and software for the analysis, exploration, and visualization of data generated using exome/whole genome sequencing, RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, ATAC-sequencing, and chromatin conformation capture sequencing in a timely fashion.
•With direction, develops and maintains software tools and infrastructure for resolving specific problems. Adapt to new technologies and find solutions to related academic programs.
•Reads literature and confers with superiors regarding new procedures and modify them according to the needs of the project.
•Ability to search and review the scientific literature for the purpose of developing computational pipelines and supporting the completion of grant applications.
•Flexibility to assist with closely related projects being pursued by research project teams in the Department of Genomic Medicien as well as M. D. Anderson Cancer CEnter.
•Demonstrates extensive knowledge and familiarity with UNIX-like computing environment and high-performance computing resources.
•Proficiently use Python, R, and other programming languages to develop extensible, well-documented, and user-friendly workflows for analysis of genomic data.
•Provides supervision, special training to technical personnel and/or highly technical work in medical and related research projects.
•Contributes to project team.
•Employ safe laboratory practices.
•Maintain research records and laboratory notes.
•Ability to analyze, interpret and present data at laboratory and departmental meetings.
•Performs other duties as required.
• Interacts closely with other research staff across institutional functional teams.
• Other duties as assigned.
Analytical Thinking - Gather relevant information systematically; break down problems into simple components; make sound decisions.
Innovative Thinking - Approach problems with curiosity and open-mindedness; offer new ideas, solutions and/or options.
Team with Others - Initiate, develop, and manage relationships and networks; encourage collaboration and input from all team members; value the contributions of all team members; balance individual and team goals.
Technical/Functional Expertise - Demonstrate technical proficiency required to do the job; possess up-to-date knowledge in the profession; provide technical expertise to others.
Provide service to our stakeholders, including patients, caregivers, colleagues and each other, in a safe, courteous, accountable, efficient and innovative manner to include:
* Promoting inclusiveness and collegiality that demonstrates respect and professionalism to our stakeholders at all times
* Modeling safe, ethical behavior that mitigates risk to the institution through sound business practices, and adherence to MD Anderson's Standards of Conduct, institutional policies and procedures
* Responding to requests in a timely manner while proactively communicating expectations for procedures, service arrival, or project deliverables to stakeholders
* Using the steps to HEAL (Hear, Empathize, Address and Learn) the relationship when service recovery is needed.
Builds and maintains customer satisfaction with the products and services offered by the organization through skills demonstrated in communication, personalization of interaction, regulation of emotions, and proactive problem solving.
Performance Statement Examples
* Presents a cheerful, positive manner with customers either on the phone or in person. Shows interest in, actively listens to and responds in a clear and timely manner to customer's expressed needs.
* Focuses on the customer's results, rather than own. Goes beyond basic service expectations to help customers implement complete solutions through personalized service that anticipates the customer's unspoken needs.
* Delivers services when and where the customer needs them. Explores options when unable to deliver a requested product or service, and pursues solutions until the customer is satisfied by addressing the root cause of the issue. Problem solves with patient, family member, care giver or clinical team to aid in proactively resolving issues and concerns.
* Provides to customers status reports and progress updates. Seeks customer feedback and ensures needs have been fully met.
* Talks to customers (internal and external) with a pleasant tone to find out what they need and how satisfied they are with the service. Remains in control of own reactions and responds in a manner that demonstrates appropriate nonverbal cues and complements the customer's emotions in the situation. Recognizes when it is necessary to escalate situations to leadership to ensure customer satisfaction.
•Must be highly motivated, reliable, responsible, well organized and a careful record keeper with good attention to details.
•Excellent communication skills are required as well as the ability to work well in a collaborative and interdisciplinary team environment
Required: Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Applied Mathematics or related field.
Preferred: Master's degree in a related field.
Required: Three years experience in scientific software development/analysis. With preferred degree, one year of required experience.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html