Research Assistant II
The mission of The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation, and the world through outstanding programs that integrate patient care, research, and prevention, and through education for undergraduate and graduate students, trainees, professionals, employees, and the public.
The primary purpose of the Research Assistant II position is to provide supervision, special training to technical personnel, and/or highly technical work in medical and related research projects. The Research Assistant II conducts experiments in the area of molecular and cellular biology of cancer, discusses the goals of each project with the supervisor, and receives verbal and/or written instructions from the supervisor on how to conduct an assay or experiment to achieve the goals of the project. Based on these discussions and basic instructions, develop a step-by-step written procedure of specific actions required to conduct the experiment prior to proceeding.
By our words and actions we demonstrate caring toward everyone.
- We are sensitive to the concerns of our patients, their loved ones, and our colleagues.
- We are respectful and courteous to each other and practice cultural humility.
- We promote and reward teamwork and inclusion.
We work together with professionalism to merit the trust of our colleagues and those we serve in all that we do.
- We hold ourselves, and each other, accountable for our work - decisions, and data
- and for practicing our values and ethics.
- We advocate for diversity and equity for our workforce, for those we serve, and for our community.
- We communicate frequently, honestly, openly; and responsibly.
We embrace creativity and seek new knowledge from diverse perspectives.
- We encourage continuous learning, seeking out information and new ideas.
- We team with each other to identify and resolve problems.
- We seek personal growth and enable others to do so.
We provide a safe environment - physically and psychologically - for our patients, for our colleagues, and for our community
- We create a sense of security and empowerment and are committed to keeping one another free from harm.
- We embrace a framework and best practices for the highest quality of care and service.
- We inspire trust by modeling excellence in our work and acceptance of each person's contributions.
We protect and preserve our institutional reputation and the precious resources - people, time, financial, and environmental - entrusted to us.
- We prioritize the health and well-being of each other.
- We act responsibly to safeguard the institution's finances.
- We ensure the proper care and use of time, data, materials, equipment, and property afforded to us.
JOB-SPECIFIC COMPETENCIESCell Culture, Electrophoresis, and Mouse Handling:
** Cell culture: growing, expanding, and freezing utilizing sterile techniques. ** Ability to isolate DNA, RNA, and proteins. Successful completion of these assays may require knowledge of molecular biology techniques. ** Running agarose or acrylamide gels to detect nucleotides and proteins. ** Mouse handling skills (REQUIRED): monitoring mouse health, IP injection, gavage, measuring tumor size, dissection, etc.Record Keeping:
** Manually and promptly record research data. Knowledge of word processing programs and spreadsheets. Discusses results from each assay to ensure accuracy and comparability with previous results of similar assays and reconciles discrepancies as soon as possible. **Presents results to the supervisor weekly.Assisting Others:
** Assists other laboratory personnel with experiments when needed.
** Helps prepare solutions, autoclaving, receive and organize supplies.
Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree in one of the natural sciences or related fields. Certification:
Preferred Certification: None Experience:
Two years of experience in scientific or experimental research work. Preferred Experience:
No experience required with a preferred degree.
Onsite Presence: Is Required
Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences. Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree. It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html