The mission of The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation, and the world through outstanding programs that integrate patient care, research and prevention, and through education for undergraduate and graduate students, trainees, professionals, employees and the public.Summary
The primary purpose of the Research Investigator position is to apply technical expertise and experience to coordinate, design, and carry out cancer research projects while following lab standard operating procedures. We are seeking a well-organized, highly motivated professional to support the research Cancer Genomics Laboratory to support the high throughput sequencing pipeline for Moon Shots projects. The successful candidate will use cutting-edge technologies and machinery for cancer cell genome characterization and will have solid molecular Biology experience and demonstrate solid experience with LIMS system.Key Functions
- Lead execution of DNA/RNA sequencing, array-CGH, EA and genotyping experiments in a timely fashion.
- Ability to comprehensively perform all areas of Next Generation Sequencing, including but not limited to sample preparation from difficult analytes, sample QC-ing, sample clustering on the cBot.
- Operation of the Illumina NGS instruments, including running, troubleshooting and monitoring data quality output and implement corrective measures.
- Troubleshooting sequencing protocols to implement SOPs to be used by the production team.
- Developing SOPs for one-off sequencing projects that accommodates low-quality, low-input DNA/RNA from FFPE tissue.
- Design target enrichment including SureSelect, ChIP, and other technologies. Adapt to new technologies and find solutions to related academic programs.
- Reads literature and confers with superiors regarding new procedures and modify them according to the needs of the project.
- Ability to search and review the scientific literature for the purpose of developing SOP's
- Proficiently use standard MS office products and willing to learn the LIMS systems employed by the laboratory.
- Responsible for maintaining an adequate level of reagents for Next Generation Sequencing in the lab.
- Plans training and research work activity for assigned laboratory and research personnel.
- Timely laboratory sample tracking with required documents. Overall QA right along data generation pipeline. Generate standard operating procedures.
- Compiles, writes and submits project results to superiors.
- Provides supervision, special training to technical personnel and/or highly technical work in medical and related research projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- IC - Coach & Develop:
- Assess strengths and development needs of employees;
- Provide challenging development opportunities; and
- Provide relevant, timely feedback; mentor others.
- IC - Build Relationships:
- Initiate, develop, and manage relationships and networks; and
- Show sincere interest in others and their concerns.
- IC - Provide Direction:
- Provide clear direction and priorities toward a common vision;
- Clarify roles and responsibilities for employees; and
- Promote empowerment
This position requires : Yes No
Working in Office EnvironmentX
Working in Patient Care Unit (e.g. Nursing unit; outpatient clinic)X
Exposure to human/animal blood, body fluids, or tissues X
Exposure to harmful chemicals X
Exposure to radiation XPhysical Demands
Indicate the time required to do each of the following physical demands:Time Spent Never0% Occasionally1-33% Frequently34-66% Continuously67-100%
Up to 10 lbsX
10lbs to 50 lbs X
More than 50 lbs X
Up to 10 lbsX
10lbs to 50 lbs X
More than 50 lbs X
Required: Bachelor's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Preferred Master's degree with major course works in genetics or genomics. EXPERIENCE:
Required: Five years of experience in scientific or experimental research work. With preferred degree, three years of required experience.
Ideal candidate will have the following:
- Experience in maintaining detailed sample records and providing regular status updates to collaborators.
- Computer experience working with large data sets.
- Must be highly motivated, reliable, responsible, well organized and a careful record keeper with good attention to details.
- Excellent communication skills are required as well as the ability to work well in a collaborative and interdisciplinary team environment.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html