The Genetics department is a basic science department located in the George and Cynthia Mitchell Basic Sciences Research Building at the world-renowned University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in the heart of the Texas Medical Center . The focus is on advancing knowledge of the molecular genetic mechanisms that regulate normal and abnormal cellular processes. Key Functions
Coordinates and conducts experiments and carries out research projects in varied areas of biochemistry, molecular biology, cancer biology, or related basic science areas. Constructs, assembles, and operates laboratory apparatus and equipment. Reads literature and confers with superiors regarding new procedures and modifies them according to the needs of the project. Performs weekend animal treatments. Records and evaluates data obtained in accordance with methods requested. The following job functions are expected:
- Maintains requisite sterile laboratory supplies. Responsible for lab upkeep. The 5-day work-week may include Saturdays or Sundays. Performance of standard lab tasks consisting of DNA purification, tissue culture and animal hormone injections.
- Will complete mouse assisted reproduction tasks for assigned GEMF Service Requests with appropriate record-keeping and attention to detail.
- Works with nucleic acids; requires agarose gel electrophoresis. Performs basic molecular biology experimental procedures including PCR. Requires the ability to perform basic mathematics to correctly prepare solutions. Must keep accurate and complete records of experimental data.
- Requires working with mouse embryonic stem cells and mouse tissues. Will require occasional holiday work for tissue culture and maintenance of mouse lines required for GEM facility projects. Requires adherence to compliance protocols for animal care and use.
- Monitors and anticipates laboratory needs. Keeps ample stock of supplies on hand. Knows the procedure for obtaining repair or maintenance for lab equipment. Prepares stock solutions. Performs laboratory maintenance, such as cleaning.
- Works closely with other staff members. Maintains good working relationship with other technicians.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required: Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Preferred: Master's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.Experience
Required: Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html