The mission of The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation, and the world through outstanding programs that integrate patient care, research and prevention, and through education for undergraduate and graduate students, trainees, professionals, employees and the public.
Epigenetics and Molecular Carcinogenesis
The primary purpose of the Senior Research Assistant
position is to provide supervision, special training to technical personnel, and /or highly technical work in research projects. Performs a series of experiments designed to supply specific information as a part of a larger project; an answer to questions in a limited field; or, in development of improved techniques, production methods or procedures in the Department of Epigenetics and Molecular Carcinogenesis.KEY FUNCTIONSResearch Support
Expertise and Specialization
- Perform research or experimental tasks to supply information as part of a research project or laboratory.
- Responsible for planning and executing details of an experiment, including set up, timing (scheduled, staffed, planned), coordination of supplies and equipment at hand, functionality of equipment, trained personnel.
- Evaluate and interpret experimental results.
- Assemble, operate and troubleshoot equipment.
- Compile/prepare tables and charts.
- Assist with preparation of grant applications and progress reports.
- Apply background/experience in science, using independent evaluation, judgment and analysis.
- Perform research or experimental tasks in a limited field (niche) or specialty area.
- Master difficult, advanced, skills or technology.
- Develop and revise protocols, procedures, and techniques.
- Introduce/implement new technology.
- Participate in troubleshooting and resolving problems.
Other duties as assignedEducation
- Supervise technicians and oversee their training.
- May oversee educational appointees in their work and assist them as assigned or delegated.
- Assess availability of supplies and advise/recommend purchasing as needed.
- Contribute to the laboratory; assess need for back-up and cover as necessary; cross-train.
- May have delegated signing authority on routine purchases.
Required: Bachelor's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Preferred: Master's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.Experience
Required: Three years of experience in scientific or experimental research work. With preferred degree, one year of required experience.
Preferred: Cell culture and molecular biology.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html