The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2019 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
The Genetics Department is a basic science department located in the George and Cynthia Mitchell Basic Sciences Research Building at the world-renowned University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in the heart of the Texas Medical Center. The focus is on advancing knowledge of the molecular genetic mechanisms that regulate normal and abnormal cellular processes.
The Computational Scientist
analyzes cancer genomics datasets and communicates results with members of the Van Loo lab.KEY FUNCTIONS
- Maintains and develops bulk and single-cell DNA, RNA, and epigenomic data processing pipelines.
- Maintains records of NGS data generated by the lab, and consortium data stored and processed by the lab.
- Maintains the lab's data access agreements.
- Maintains and further develops the lab's software packages, in collaboration with students and postdocs in the lab.
- Performs single cell and bulk sequencing data analysis.
- Develops QC reports of initial data processing.
- Manages software and data stored on the lab's partition on the institute's high-performance computing infrastructure.
- Performs pre-processing of bulk and singe cell sequencing data generated by in-house and by large-scale consortia and maintains/develops processing pipelines and the lab's software packages.
- Manages the laboratory's data and data access agreements.
- Maintains the laboratories partition on the institute's high-performance computing cluster, in collaboration with MD Anderson IT.
Required: Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Applied Mathematics or related field.
Preferred: Master's degree or PhD with a concentration in Science, Engineering or related field.Experience
Required: Five years experience in scientific software development/analysis. With preferred degree three years experience required.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html