1. Requires basic knowledge and techniques to conduct various experiments in molecular biology and protein chemistry. An essential requirement for the job is tissue/cell culture, molecular cloning, and real time PCR techniques, with the ability to culture/maintain different cancer cell lines, to subclone DNA expression plasmid and to carry out mutagenesis experiments. Also critical is knowledge of protein overexpression, basic protein purification and analysis techniques (e.g. Western blotting, etc.). In addition, be able to carry out laser capture microdissection, in-situ hybridization, reverse transcription, and Southern and Northern blotting.
2. Requires handling experimental mice, including injecting tumor cells to nude mice, measure tumor growth, harvest tumor samples, isolate DNA and RNA from tumors, and carry out immunohistochemistry using cryostat sectioning and paraffin section. Requires manage/maintain transgenic and knockout mice, genotyping animal. Some procedures will require the use of hazardous and/or radioactive substrates. It will, therefore, be necessary to maintain appropriate environmental surveys for radioactivity and other hazardous materials that may be used for experimental purposes. Appropriate records of hazardous chemicals and reagents may also be required.
3. Must be willing and able to learn and conduct additional methods and techniques when necessary. If necessary, be able to keep flexible working hours and to learn proper procedures to operate various types of equipment associated with these experiments.
4. Required to record and maintain a central repository of all molecular biology reagents and biospecimens. Accurately label all samples. Keep ample stock of supplies on hand. Responsible for ordering laboratory supplies and maintenance of facilities. Know the procedure for obtaining repair or maintenance for lab equipment. Prepare stock solutions. Perform routine laboratory maintenance duties, such as cleaning.
5. Computer operation and management of personal computer skills are essential for word processing, generating and storing data, communications, and ordering laboratory supplies.
6. Should be proficient in written and spoken English. Must be able and willing to clearly convey experimental results and technical problems to supervisor and laboratory colleagues, to give technical guidance to others, and to instruct new laboratory members in proper safety and operating procedures.
7. Requires organizational skills to maintain accurate and complete records of pertinent data on a daily basis and to maintain permanent logs and laboratory stock of research materials. Must be able to communicate data and records to the supervisor and other laboratory members. Maintain good working relationship with all members of the laboratory.
8. Must possess the ability to be clearly understood by verbal communication in face-to-face encounters and by telephone, read printed and written data, assimilate pertinent information in order to communicate in written correspondence. Must be able to communicate well verbally and in writing. Must be able to understand verbal and written directions. Must be able to present data in a clear and organized manner both verbally and in visual presentation formats. Must be able to respond and assist other employees and visitors, as required.
9. Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
Experience working with mice, tissue culture and western blotting.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html