The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
The primary purpose of the Research Assistant I position is to provide responsible technical assistance in carrying out various research projects and assistance in maintaining efficient functioning of the laboratory. Requires scientific and technical background, independent decision making, judgment and organizational skills.
1. Assist with activities involving in vivo work with mice involving Radiotherapy and Immunotherapy.
2. Blood processing and tumor infiltrating leucocytes collection, FACS data acquisition on the Aurora Cytek cytometer, analysis on the metabolism of T cells, RNA isolation, cDNA generation/qPCR, and generation of PDX models.
3. Duties may include collection and processing biological specimens (Blood and Tissue).
4. Perform flow cytometry (FACs) and animal work that requires handling of animals for injections, necropsy etc. Prior animal experience preferred but not required.
5. Maintains accurate and timely records to include notebooks, records, databases, etc. as needed by the research project.
6. Monitor laboratory and/or other supplies to ensure sufficient inventory to support research projects. Ensures quality of reagents or other supplies.
7. Maintain an excellent working knowledge of all basic laboratory equipment and apparatus.
8. Read scientific literature to keep current with new research techniques and confers with supervisor regarding new procedures.
9. Records and evaluates data obtained in accordance with methods requested.
10. Help in maintenance of general Lab equipment and prepare common laboratory stock chemicals
11. Update lab inventories and order lab supplies.
12. Other duties as assigned.
Required: Bachelor's Degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Preferred: Master's Degree
Required: Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
Preferred: Experience with in vitro work, including lung cancer cell lines. Experience with laboratory animals. Must be willing to work with mice and rats
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html