JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Specimen collection and processing. - Consent patients for research blood draws.
- Collect blood and other human bodily fluids as per clinical protocols
- Process and store the patient samples as per laboratory's SOPs.
- Accurately label all samples.
- Enter sample data into database in accordance with prescribed procedures.
- Centrifuge to obtain plasma or serum as per laboratory's SOPs.
- Label, pipette, and transfer to appropriate containers and store at specified temperature.
Recordkeeping. -Maintain accurate daily log of all samples collected.
-Complete registration of all consented patients into the CORE system.
-Serve as an information source of sample status for collaborators and sponsors.
-Collect and organizes information for project reports.
-Follows appropriate procedure for processing and entering outside correspondence including entry to flow sheets and data entry to on-line databases, Tissue Station, CORE or PDMS. Summarize outside progress notes and enter into on-line databases, Tissue Station, CORE, or PDMS
Research-related activities. - As directed, may attend clinical protocol start-up meetings with sponsor company representatives and institutional clinical personnel to assure that sample collection procedures and forms are fully understood.
- Record collection of samples and shipments to sponsors and collaborators.
- Package samples so that they arrive at destination in a suitable condition.
- Arrange shipment of sample boxes with a suitable air freight carrier and contact collaborators or sponsor personnel to coordinate shipments and verify receipt of samples.
- Handle dry ice.
- Assist other department employees with clinical studies and/or various work assignments when help is requested or as schedule permits.
- Will use the computer via the keyboard to access patient data and computerized databases.
- Learn and assist various basic laboratory techniques in laboratory research such as preparation of samples for analysis
- Learn and become competent to perform basic laboratory studies and will be supervised by senior research staff.
- Performs general laboratory duties as directed by supervisor.
Supply inventory and lab maintenance. -Maintain adequate stock of general and phlebotomy supplies.
-Know the procedure for obtaining repair or maintenance for lab equipment.
-Prepare stock solutions.
-Learn to operate laboratory equipment and apparatus and perform routine operator maintenance.
-Maintain alertness and careful attention to avoid injury to self and others due to chemicals and hazardous materials in the laboratory.
Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences. Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree. It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html