The Genetics department is a basic science department located in the George and Cynthia Mitchell Basic Sciences Research Building at the world-renowned University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in the heart of the Texas Medical Center. The focus is on advancing knowledge of the molecular genetic mechanisms that regulate normal and abnormal cellular processes.
The primary responsibility of the Research Assistant II
is to perform technical laboratory duties and carry out projects in accordance with our specific research. The goal of our research is to understand how cells respond to DNA damage and safeguard the integrity of the genome. The research involves molecular, biochemical and genetic approaches, as well as mouse genetic analysis to investigate the role of chromosome stability and DNA damage response in suppressing tumor development and metastasis using cell culture and mouse models.
The assigned duties will include but not limited to performing routine laboratory tasks primarily in mouse genetics, tumor analysis and mouse colony maintenance; assisting in experiments with mammalian cell culture, DNA/RNA extraction, real-time PCR, protein extraction, Western blots, CRISPR-Cas9 knockout, etc; routine lab maintenance tasks such as record keeping of lab stocks, routine wipe tests, and preparation of sterile plastic ware for the lab; and other tasks assigned by the supervisor.KEY FUNCTIONS
- Helps to maintain mouse colony, set up genetic crosses, and genotype mice.
- Carries out experiments in various areas of molecular biology and genetics in the lab.
- Assembles and operates various laboratory equipment and apparatus.
- Record data in accordance with methods requested and confers with superiors regarding results obtained.
- Reads literature and confers with superiors regarding new procedures and modifies them according to the needs of the project.
- Monitors and anticipates laboratory needs. Keep ample stock of supplies on hand. Know the procedure for obtaining repair or maintenance for lab equipment. Prepare stock solutions. Perform laboratory maintenance, such as cleaning.
- Other duties may be defined as the project evolves and as the person gains experience.
Required: Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Preferred: Master's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.Experience
Required: Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html