The Genetics department is a basic science department located in the George and Cynthia Mitchell Basic Sciences Research Building at the world-renowned University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in the heart of the Texas Medical Center. The focus is on advancing knowledge of the molecular genetic mechanisms that regulate normal and abnormal cellular processes.
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
The Laboratory Technical Assistant provides routine technical assistance and performs assigned lab duties involved with basic science and cancer science work in the lab.KEY FUNCTIONS:
- Generate media for C. elegans and bacterial growth and culture, generate buffers and various molecular biology reagents (such as cDNA and genomic DNA preps and other assigned reagents) for C. elegan s, cultured cell and other experiments
- Prepares stock solutions for general lab use.
- Test integrity and perform quality control of the molecular biology reagents generated
- Cleans and organizes work areas, lab equipment, refrigerators and freezers as required.
- Stocks supplies
- Basic administrative tasks.
- Maintain laboratory apparatus and equipment including -20 o C freezer defrost etc
- Perform lab safety tests
- Inventory the chemical room, -20 o C and -80 o C freezers as well as the 4 o C fridge to maintain current records of reagents
- Perform PCR-based or injection-based experiments with assigned bench mentors
- Perform other experiments as assigned
- Maintain active lab notes with duties and assignments performed
- Assist with animal maintenance
- Performs other related laboratory tasks as required.
Preferred: High School DiplomaExperience
Required: Six months laboratory experience.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html