Performs independently a variety of standard clinical testing procedures within a clinical laboratory or similar setting. Impacts multidisciplinary teamwork involving patient care, maintenance of quality control and instrumentation utilized for the production of analytical data on patient specimens. Independently performs a variety of waived clinical testing and protocol procedures within a clinical laboratory. Prepares complex set ups for slides/specimens for tests. Prepares complex reagents, prepares sterile supplies and stains slides. Cuts and grinds tissue samples. Evaluates, accessions and processes cases or specimens. Operates, troubleshoots and services equipment according to specific protocols. Generates manifests for reference testing and maintains inventory.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES:
Technical Lab duties:
* Performs technical laboratory duties in accordance with a predetermined course of action.
* Assists with the development of novel ex vivo expansion strategies and treatments for cord blood derived hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells.
* Documentation of mice colony database.
* Liason with other departments and outside institutions working on collaborative clinical research projects.
* Competence in the use of sterile technique and the use of Universal Precautions when handling potentially biohazardous clinical samples.
* Familiarity with appropriate literature in the field and willingness to learn and contribute ideas that might improve techniques.
Clinical Protocol maintenance:
* Interpret and refine techniques with clinical research protocols.
* Familiarity with Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) used in the clinic allowing the processing of clinical samples as required.
* Assist with laboratory supply ordering.
* Maintenance and inventory of cell lines catalogues stored in liquid nitrogen tanks.
Other duties as assigned.
* Courtesy: Is respectful and courteous to each other at all times.
* Friendliness/Teamwork: Promotes and rewards teamwork and inclusiveness; is sensitive to the concerns of our patients and our co-workers.
* Reliability: Communicates frequently, honestly and openly.
* Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for practicing our values.
* Safety: Models safe behavior (wears badge and personal protective equipment, washes hands, and keeps work area clean and orderly); Notices a safety concern or emergency, understands role and uses proper procedures to report it; Mitigates risk to the institution through sound business practices; Demonstrates ethical and personal responsibility in work and behavior
* Responsiveness: By his/her actions, creates an environment of trust; Encourages learning, creativity and new ideas.
* Personal Leadership/Self-Initiative: Helps others to identify and solve problems; Seeks personal growth and enables others to do so.
Required: Bachelor's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Preferred: Master's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Required: Three years of experience in scientific or experimental research work. With preferred degree, one year of required experience.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html