About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.Position Summary:
The Unit Ambassador acts as the primary clerical resource for the unit as well as monitors patients' EKG waveforms in a centralized monitoring station.
Perform unit secretary duties for the unit such as clerical support and receptionist duties and assist with activities based on patient needs under the direction of the RN. Must possess effective communication skills and have previous patient care experience. Must have computer and keyboarding skills. Responsible for observation of patient monitors, prompt notification of cardiac rhythm changes. Key Responsibilities include:
- Strong focus on customer service, providing accurate, reliable, courteous and timely assistance. Answers the phone promptly and assist with transferring of call as needed. Collaborates and communicates with the team and colleagues.
- Supports the efforts of all care providers to deliver quality care. Print or copy documents as requested to support the clinical team. Per performs clerical duties as requested.
- Answers the nurse call bell system and follow through for patient request.
- Monitor and interprets accurately cardiac rhythms of patients. Immediate reporting of any rhythm change to the RN or charge RN.
- Maintains integrity of the telemetry system, admits, transfer, or when patients out of the unit. Reports all malfunctions or needed adjustments to equipment to CN or management.
- Ensure that alarms at the central station are on at all times and only changes of setting by the RN.
- Ability to assign, document and maintain logs for communication devices on unit.
- Maintain equipment logs, such as loaned items from unit and items that have been sent for repair.
- Place work orders for nonfunctional communication equipment ie. Vocera, pager, locators, computers at stations, WOWs and nurse call system.
- Keep nursing station and public areas clean and tidy.
- Order and manage stock in the unit as needed.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Ability to keep bed management system information updated and current to facilitate transfers and discharges.
- Schedules follow up appointment for patient's being discharged.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
- High School or equivalent, Completion of EKG monitoring class, worked in a hospital setting as a unit clerk/secretary/monitor tech.
- 1-2 years related experience, Pass competency with 80 % or above and has knowledge of age specific.
- Medical Terminology course, maintains current knowledge, skills and competencies through involvement in professional continuing education, activities Maintains and updates knowledge of basic arrhythmias.
- Current BCLS, completion of EKG class. Pass competency with 80% or above.
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
- This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.