About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
The Sous Chef is responsible for the overall food preparation for AYR patient food services and catering at City of Hope in Irvine. The position oversees the day to day execution of the menus & culinary deliverables, placing a strong emphasis on food presentation, quality, execution, menu design & implementation. The Sous Chef ensures the highest professional food quality and sanitation standards.Key Responsibilities include:
- In conjunction with the Director of Culinary Operations and the Chef de Cuisine, the Sous Chef is responsible for daily operations for food preparation in the food service operation. Ensures employees have appropriate equipment, inventory and resources to perform their jobs and meet goals and deadlines. Leads by providing positive and constructive feedback to employees in order to reward, coach, correct and motivate. Accountable for the execution of service quality by maintaining highest level of delivery.
- Estimates food consumption in order to purchase the appropriate amount of ingredients for preparation and provides recipe standards for each meal.
- Probes potential problems and apprises manager of status on resolution of problems or issues, using appropriate Sodexo resource when necessary.
- Establishes operating standards, implements quality improvements and communicates them to employees.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times. Ensures that regular cleaning and maintenance schedules for all kitchen areas and equipment are adhered to.
- Establishes a safe work environment for employees by providing safety-related training and equipment maintenance and by ensuring compliance with City of Hope safety and loss prevention programs and with standards.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan.
Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent experience
- 1 - 3 years of experience as a Sous Chef
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.