About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
Under the direction of the Cage Wash Supervisor or designee, the Research Support Technician - Operations, is responsible for the preparation and processing of animal caging supplies, operating equipment associated with these tasks, monitoring equipment operation, maintaining equipment, and support area sanitization.Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:Preferred education experience and skills:
- Removes dirty bedding from cages and prepares cages, bottles, and equipment for washing.
- Operates washing and sterilizing equipment.
- Prepares caging and supplies for sterilization.
- Delivers and distributes prepared caging equipment.
- Monitors and documents equipment operation and reports malfunction to Cage Wash Supervisor or Facilities department.
- Performs routine and scheduled maintenance and minor equipment repair.
- Operates associated equipment such as bottle filler, pH proportioner, and rack and hose flush stations.
- Maintains cage washing area in an organized and sanitary manner and monitors assigned work and facility support areas.
- Assists in ordering animal facility cage washing supplies and unloading and storage of vivarium supplies.
- Documents environmental conditions, machine operating conditions, and daily activities.
- Cleans and maintains animal housing and support areas as requested. This includes floor cleaning, sanitizing halls and ceilings, and general corridor and procedure room sanitation.
- Performs duties in accordance with DCM/ARC Standard Operating Procedures and City of Hope safety policies.
- Participates in training sessions, staff meetings, and continuing education activities.
- Interacts/establishes working relationships and communicates effectively and positively with research and Animal Resources Center staff.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- 6 months related experience preferred
- Knowledge of disinfectants, sanitation and cleaning agents; knowledge and experience with cage washers for cleaning and autoclaves for sterilization of supplies preferred
- Be observant, display tact, consideration, professionalism, and maturity
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team is a must
- Meet deadlines and sanitation standards
- Excellent oral/written communication and organizational skills
- Maintain logs
- Prepare reports
- Monitor and/or document environmental parameters
As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.