About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
Under limited supervision, the Research Laboratory Technician is responsible for the collection, classification and filing of scientific data. The Research Laboratory Technician is also responsible for preparing solutions, labeling tubes/specimen containers and maintaining laboratory supplies. Duties and/or tasks include but are not limited to cleaning of laboratory space and equipment utilizing proper cleaning protocols and procedures.Key Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for the collection, classification and filing of scientific data.
- Maintains required records, reports and statistics as directed.
- Assists research staff in routine tasks relevant to laboratory research projects.
- Collects, washes, cleans and sterilizes used glassware, equipment and supplies using proper sterilization techniques.
- Requisitions, receives, distributes and maintains supply inventories in laboratories as needed
- Prepares simple stains, solutions, culture media, and may process tissue following established procedures.
- Following established protocols and using specified equipment, collects and delivers material for analysis. Ensures proper labeling and pertinent information.
- Assists in the care and maintenance of laboratory work area and furnishings/equipment.
- Perform DNA and RNA extractions from many different sample types.
- Perform nucleic acid amplification analyses using standard techniques such as qPCR, RT-PCR.
- Assist postdocs in validating their research findings by reproducing their experiments with additional samples.
- Support postdoctoral researchers or staff scientists by analyzing single-cell RNA-Seq data using the R language.
Kwak Lab Cryo-Bank Management:
- Keep optimal stock of all necessary laboratory reagents and supplies.
- Perform all necessary cleaning and sterilization of water, glassware, tubing, vials, and other essential equipment and reagents.
- Monitor all 6 SANYO CO2 Incubators in the lab, and verify that they are being kept sterile, clean, and well-functioning.
- Verify that our workstations and cell culture rooms are kept safe and sterile according to COH safety regulations.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Ensure that the two Panasonic Cryo-banks for the Kwak Lab are performing optimally, and collaborating with COH Engineering to ensure that maintenance is routinely performed to protect our research sample storage.
- Currently working through building a comprehensive Kwak Lab Cryo-Bank Excel File, from which necessary sample and stock calculations can be performed.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum two (2) years of related experience or combined education and experience in related field.
- Associates degree preferred
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
- For more information on Dr. Larry Kwak's research please visit,here.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.