About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
A Research Associate II position is available to work in Molecular Medicine. Under general supervision of the Principal Investigator, or designee,the Research Associate II (RAII) directs the work of a laboratory or undertakes research projects in collaborationwith academic supervisor, making innovative contributions pertaining to laboratory procedures which may not change thecourse of an investigation but do indicate significant independent contribution beyond the RA I level. RAII typicallyconsults with the academic supervisor on the scope and plan of approach to a research project; reads abstracts andarticles; organize and plan techniques; plan and assign the work of at least one lab staff advising on problems theyare unable to solve; contribute original ideas to the laboratory research; standardize new techniques and train staffon these techniques; perform specialized procedures and prepare written reports of laboratory experimental methods.Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Performs a variety of routine and non-routine laboratory research experiments.
- Records and validates results foraccuracy and completeness.
- Troubleshoots procedures if experiment results are unexpected or unsatisfactory. Recommends alternative procedures.
- Responsible for accurately recording work performed including results and methodology. Calculates, compiles andanalyzes data obtained from work performed.
- Independently evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve the quality of results byproviding input to overall research design.
- Trains lab staff in specialized procedures, equipment and theoretical concepts behind unique tests.
- May contribute to the preparation of manuscripts by describing methods and specialized techniques. Keeps abreast ofnew and improved techniques.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safetyprocedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious and toxic material.
Preferred education, experience and skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry or Chemical Engineering related discipline.
- Two years related research/ laboratory experience with a Bachelor's degree or one year related research/ laboratory experience with a Master's degree.
- Must have excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Master's degree in Chemistry or related discipline
- For more information, visit theJohn Williams, PhDwebsite.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.