About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.Position Summary:
The Clinical Educator is a registered nurse (RN) who has acquired knowledge and clinical experience that enable him/her to practice nursing with judgment and clinical expertise. The Clinical Educator may function as clinician & educator. He or she is responsible for assessing educational needs of patients/staff; planning and implementing staff development activities; evaluating the effectiveness of those activities for patient/ staff.
"Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist or Certified Diabetes Educator® (CDCES or CDE ®) is a health professional who possesses comprehensive knowledge of and experience in diabetes prevention, prediabetes, and diabetes management. The CDCES or CDE ® educates, supports, and advocates for people affected by diabetes, addressing the stages of diabetes throughout the lifespan. The CDCES or CDE ® promotes self-management to achieve individualized behavioral and treatment goals that reduce risks and optimize health outcomes". Defined by the Certification Board for Diabetes Care and EducationKey Responsibilities:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Ensures that employees provide services that are accurate, reliable, courteous, and timely.
- Provides delivery of quality care consistent with the scope of practice of the discipline.
- Promotes timely, comprehensive education to patient/staff and documentation of progress towards achievement of outcomes.
- Ensures that all professional and regulatory standards are met and maintained.
- Establish and maintain a framework within which collaboration and teamwork among all members of the healthcare team occur.
- Effectively communicates with all customers/team members to meet organizational goals and customer service expectations.
- Maintains current knowledge, skills, and competencies through involvement in professional continuing education activities.
- Directs the efficient and effective utilization of resources.
- Leads performance improvement activities to promote continuous improvement in care delivery.
- Demonstrates assimilation of core organizational values within own performance.
- May plan orientation program to meet individual learning needs develops objectives for each instructional program.
- Provides a competency-based orientation program for all categories of nursing service personnel.
- Conducts well planned, organized, relevant and clinically oriented programs in response to needs.
- Coordinates continuing education workshops.
- May assist in the preparation of manuals, guides and other materials contributing to improving clinical performance, updating staff instruction and the maintenance of patient care services.
Bachelor's Degree in Nursing or MSNRequired Certification/Licensure:
Preferred education, experience and skills:
- Current California RN license
- Certified as a Diabetes Educator (CDE) or Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist
- Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR Card through American Heart Association
- Oncology, Hematology or Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT)
- OCN certification preferred
- Bilingual skills
- Certification pay may apply
- This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.