About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
Prepares patients to see physician, facilitates lab tests and other physician orders as needed. Assists the Clinical Director with clinical duties and procedures as directed.Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Greets patients and escorts them from the waiting room to exam rooms; prepares patients for exam or treatment.
- Prepares exam rooms with necessary instruments prior to patient appointment.
- Assists physicians in preparing for examinations and minor procedures.
- Performs basic nursing procedures including thermal applications, non-sterile soaks and applications of simple dressing, perineal care and urine test.
- Obtains and documents patient vital signs in EMR, including temperature, blood pressure, height/weight, respiration and pulse.
- Obtains and documents patient's favorite pharmacy, smoking history, allergies, current medication list and/or reconciles the current medication list.
- Prior to patient appointment assures all reports and other medical information are current in EMR.
- Maintains a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for the patient and their families.
- Pre-certifies surgical and other procedures, if appropriate.
- Answers M.A. phones, takes messages, enters messages in EMR and returns phone calls on same day.
- Schedules tests and off-site procedures when necessary.
- Prepares and maintains supplies and equipment for treatments, including sterilization.
- Disposes of contaminated items according to OSHA guidelines.
- Handles laboratory specimens according to OSHA and CLIA guidelines.
- Transmits patient education when appropriate through the use of preprinted education materials, links, etc.
- Replenishes supplies, stocks and cleans exam room daily.
- Takes medical stock inventory and communicates supply shortage to Clinical Director.
- Maintains company code of conduct and patient confidentiality as regulated by HIPPA.
- Attends annual CPR, OSHA and CLIA training programs as applicable.
- Attends all staff meetings.
- High school diploma
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program
- Training in specialty specific assisting a plus
- One year experience in primary care clinical assisting
- Experience performing lab test and processing lab and diagnostic study orders
- Experience with Electronic Medical Records (EMR) preferred
- Current/valid CPR certification (BLS from American Heart Association)
- Certified Medical Assistant preferred
- Full-time, day shift
- Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm
- This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.