About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
Manages the Stem Cell Laboratory ensuring that blood products are provided as needed for patient transplantation; ensures compliance with regulatory requirements.
Responsible for managing all activities of the Stem Cell Processing Laboratory. Responsibilities include writing Standard Operating Procedures, reviewing quality control records, participating in clinical research protocols, evaluating staff performance and participating in hiring and termination decisions. The Manager of the Stem Cell Lab will also work in partnership with the Director of Transfusion Medicine and the City of Hope Research Enterprise to set strategy to meet current and future needs of the stem cell laboratory.Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Maintain, update and revise the department's SOPs, in partnership with lead(s), as new methods and regulatory requirements are introduced.
- Develops, validates and implements new procedures.
- Reviews logs used for processing blood products. Reviews temperature graphs and quality control results.
- Serves as 24 hour technical on-call resource when scheduled.
- Participates in research protocols related to transfusion medicine and cellular therapies.
- Helps direct and manage research protocols and clinical trials as they pertain to the stem cell laboratory
- Develops, in partnership with Director of Transfusion Medicine, appropriate operating and capital budgets
- Assists in the containment of medical center costs through appropriate ordering reagents and lab supplies and recovery of patient charges.
- Compiles data for monthly reports and departmental quality indicators.
- Works in partnership with Quality and Regulatory personnel both internally and externally to assure compliance of all regulatory requirements
- Writes equipment validation plans; performs validation and staff training.
- Evaluates staff performance.
- Selects staff; orients and trains new hires.
- Performs employee counseling when appropriate. Assists in the hiring and termination decisions.
- Bachelor's degree
- 5-7 years of stem cell lab experience
- 1 year of experience in a leadership capacity
- California CLS license.In lieu of California CLS license new hire may have MT(ASCP) license and obtain CA CLS license within one year of hire.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.#LI-AH