About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
Functions as a leader of the City of Hope whose areas of responsibility will include all aspects of parking and transportation for patients and staff. Position works with direct reports (department heads/vendors) to operationalize department strategies, run day-to-day operations (inclusive of overseeing data management and installed technology) and ensures implementation of City of Hope patient, visitor and staff experience service strategy for the door-to-door experience.
The Manager, Parking and Transportation will report directly to the assigned Director within the structure of Enterprise Supply Chain and Support Operations. The Manager oversees the day-to-day operations of the Parking and Transportation services for the Support Services division as a shared service for all City of Hope entities on the Duarte, Rivergrade, Monrovia campuses and community clinics in this part of the service area. Manages the performance monitoring of the door-to-door experience initiatives that facilitate a person-centered experience and supports the City of Hope experience mission, values and goals.
The Manager, Parking and Transportation oversees and directs the daily operations all parking garages and parking lots plus the valets, parking assistants, shuttles, patient trams, commuter buses, fleet vehicles, alternative forms of transportation on, off and between the service area campuses and within links to the community (e.g. TDM with Metro, etc.)
This position oversees and coordinates City of Hope's multiple campus programs to reduce single occupancy vehicles arriving at City of Hope's campuses. The position supports all aspects of the TDM programs at City of Hope by ensuring the evaluation of potential programs, advocating for programs, utilizing collected and analyzed data to evaluate transportation usage, promoting alternative transportation options to communicate effects of transportation issues in the surrounding areas. The position plays a key role in the development and implementation of initiatives identified in the TDM plan.
The position ensures daily operations meet City of Hope's standards, targets customer needs, ensures patients, families, guests, physicians and employee satisfaction and maximizes the financial performance of the operation and developing positive relations with all other services within the entity. Implements strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the patients, families, guests, physicians and employees. Key Responsibilities include:
- Implements and standardize best practices in parking, transportation and TDM programs regarding patient and staff experience; Based on a clear understanding of and empathy for the patient experience, implement processes, systems, solutions, and tools that will contribute to the effectiveness and success of the patient interface with services and members of the ESS/FEM teams at City of Hope
- Manages all parking and transportation programs on, and between, the Duarte, Rivergrade and Monrovia campuses. Stays visible and interacts with customers on a regular basis to receive feedback on quality of service levels, product and overall satisfaction. Creates an atmosphere in all parking areas and external areas where patients interact with the parking, transportation and ambassador teams that meets or exceeds patient, guest and employee expectations.
- System processes
- Implements LEAN systems and utilizing Design Thinking to enable employees to improve the patient experience, meet regulatory requirements, perform to the highest percentiles on measurement devices and allows the staff to understand how their performance influences the outcome
- Oversees, monitors and analyzes current business and operational systems to ensure they are effective, and, when required working out a strategy for improving if necessary. Establishes plans in support of new business/growth initiatives to assure effective implementation based on clear business goals, performance success measures, risks, value propositions, and cultural indicators.
- TDM Development:
- Develops, implements, and support TDM programs that increase the use of alternative transportation methods. Assists in communicating objectives, proposes policy changes, and develops plans and programs that minimize traffic flow and parking demand in and around the campuses
- Analytics, Reporting and Metric Development:
- Develops and implements surveys or control studies to evaluate proposed and current TDM program components. Gathers, compiles, and analyzes data to identify a variety of commuting and long-term planning options. Conducts program analysis to evaluate the attractiveness and effectiveness of TDM programs. Performs feasibility studies by modeling and forecasting a variety of transportation alternatives and issues.
- Establishes clear structures, principles, reporting, monitoring, accountability measures, and success measures and systems. Responsible for superior quality of all outputs including presentations, content and education
- Budget and Financial Management
- Documents and evaluates transportation project needs and costs. Works with Director to develop the program budget. Conducts analysis of program costs and resources needed to implement new programs, improve and retain/release existing programs. Utilize financial data to improve performance and efficiency. Establish controls and review inventory to ensure efficiency of use and minimal loss.
- Oversees parking, transportation and TDM planning tools and reports that can be replicated as standard work for future business development, integration and transformational efforts across the enterprise.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Bachelor Degree from an accredited university with major course work in a planning, discipline public/business administration, economics or a related field. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements or 10 years of military or work related to the field.
- 8+ years of progressively increasing responsibilities, including at least 3+ years of leadership experience (preferably in an academic medical setting and Magnet designated medical center, guest services, parking/transportation, patient experience, management operations, or related professional area working in a complex medical center environment or a 4-5 star resort or hotel.
- Bachelor Degree in Hospitality, Business or Social Science (religion, social work, economics, environmental planning, etc.)
- LEAN, Six Sigma, Design Thinking, Environmental Planning and Design or similar course/on-the-job experience
- Multiple years working front line positions with increasing level of responsibilities and promotions to several levels of management
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.