About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary:
Prepares specimens for analysis; performs and reports waived, moderate, or high complexity clinical laboratory procedures. Performs all procedures in compliance with written SOPs and FACT, AABB, ACHI, CAP, FDA, and Joint Commission regulations. Assists in teaching students and staff. Demonstrates growth in analysis and troubleshooting of testing systems. Develops regulatory compliance proficiency. Exercises a deep understanding of the operations of the section, and development of staff and future testing. Acts as a technical resource for clinical laboratory staff, Supervisor, Laboratory/Department Director and Medical Director. Works as authorized by the Laboratory Director under Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988, CFR Section 493.1445(a). Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Maintains knowledge of techniques for preparing and processing biological specimens for clinical analyses using universal precautions. Maintains knowledge and proficiency in manual, semi-automated and automated procedures.
- Performs a variety of complex laboratory tests and procedures according to prescribed protocols and assigned schedules. Completes procedures within established turnaround times.
- Reviews normal and critical results for accuracy and completeness before they are reported.
- Notifies supervisor of unusual results or discrepancies.
- Performs quality control procedures including preventive maintenance, calibrations, review of controls, and records data on appropriate forms. Supports and participates in the Quality Assurance efforts and Performance Improvement process.
- Utilizes standard laboratory equipment, and records and checks result for completeness and accuracy. Performs data entry of diagnostic information.
- Prepares and appropriately labels solutions, reagents, culture media, and stains according to standard formulas and procedures.
- Attends staff meetings and required institutional/safety training classes.
- Cross-trains (if applicable) through other sections within division/department. Develops and maintains skills to provide coverage as assigned by the supervisor.
- Prioritizes work and provides prompt and efficient service. Actively assists coworkers as needed. Maintains orderliness and cleanliness.
- Follows safety practices in work areas.
- Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality. Maintains a positive customer service image when dealing with division/department staff, patients, physicians, other City of Hope employees and outside vendors.
- Recognize, troubleshoot, and resolve problems/adverse situations utilizing analytical thinking skills. Guide and assist others in resolution of complex technical problems, recommending actions and evaluating outcomes.
- Participates/maintains compliance with all competency requirements.
- Demonstrate, promote, and assist with quality assurance activities to ensure the highest quality outcomes. Completes and documents quality assurance procedures as assigned.
- Draft new and revised standard laboratory policies and procedures to meet laboratory and regulatory requirements. Validate new/revised SOPs.
- Perform validation protocols for new instrumentation, reagents, and tests. Assist with data analysis and preparation of validation reports.
- Reviews new laboratory accreditation program standard requirements for the section on an annual basis. Reviews and assesses policy and procedure changes for compliance with regulatory changes. Works with leadership to create appropriate documentation to meet new and changed requirements.
- Assist in preparation for and participate in internal inspections, external proficiency testing (PT) surveys, and properly maintain records to fulfill the requirements of accrediting agencies, including investigating and drafting PT failure responses.
- Works with the management team in establishing and monitoring all aspects of an effective quality program, to ensure the validity of all diagnostic laboratory procedures performed in the laboratory section.
- Ensure new and revised standard laboratory policies and procedures meet all regulatory requirements and manually audit to monitor that established procedures are being followed.
- Design, write and supervise test validation protocols for new instrumentation, reagents, and tests within the section. Also, performs method and equipment comparisons. Analyze data and prepare validation reports.
- Evaluate and document staff competency, ensuring all regulatory requirements are met.
- Oversee the day to day bench scheduling of staff, workflow processes and workload. Prepare work schedules in coordination with Section Supervisors.
- Prepare for and perform external regulatory inspections of other laboratories.
- Oversee the collection and analysis of quality performance indicators, identify opportunities for improvement, and perform investigations and root cause analysis related to internal occurrence reporting as directed by leadership.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum 5 years as a certified or licensed clinical laboratory scientist
- California Clinical Laboratory Scientist License
As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.