About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
The Food Service Worker may work anywhere on property where food is prepared. This person will assist in setup and serving of food from counters and steamtables. Duties will include cleaning and sanitizing equipment and work stations. May be responsible for maintaining kitchen work areas, equipment and utensils. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but City of Hope may identify other responsibilities of the positionKey Responsibilities include:
- May assist in the preparation of hot and/or cold foods, and the proper storage of food, utilizing knowledge of temperature requirements and spoilage:
- Reads recipes and/or product directions.
- Estimates food requirements.
- Operates a variety of kitchen utensils to weigh, measure, mix, wash, peel, cut, grind, stir, strain, season and knead foodstuffs for cooking, serving and storing.
- May taste test products.
- Brews coffee and tea.
- May set up stations with entrées, soups, salads, breads, condiments, other food products and utensils:
- Serve and replenish food from counters and steam tables (sometimes using a conveyor food-belt) and break down stations at the end of meal periods.
- May interact with customers in the serving, retail and dining areas, assisting customers with opening containers and cutting food when requested.
- Provides general stocking duties in service area. Keeps records for supplies and equipment as needed. May be required to restock other beverage areas.
- Inspects workstations for compliance with service standards. Cleans and sanitizes work stations and equipment and must follow all City of Hope and regulatory rules and procedures.
- May be responsible for maintaining kitchen work areas, equipment and utensils:
- Washing dishes by hand or placing them in a dishwashing machine.
- Polishing silver and washing pots.
- Washing work tables, walls, refrigerators and meat blocks.
- Sweeping, moping, and cleaning/vacuuming floors.
- Cleaning equipment using specific chemicals to ensure sanitary standards.
- Removing trash and garbage to designated areas.
- Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training. Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments. Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- May work on a trayline to distribute food.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures and reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan.
Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.Preferred education, experience and skills for consideration:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of basic operation of equipment and cash-handling procedures preferred.
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination. Compliance is a condition of employment.
- Position is part of a collective bargaining agreement
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.