About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
The Research Finance Financial Analyst provides financial and administrative support to the Research Finance team, as the unit performs financial management of internally and externally funded research accounts. Working under the direction of the Director of Research Finance, this position collaborates with the Research Finance team, departmental business managers, Principal Investigators, and other support units at City of Hope.
This position performs a variety of fiscal, administrative, and analytical functions, which requires knowledge of accounting principles, professional and administrative duties, and business functions in support of the day-to-day operations of Research Finance. Assists and supports the Director of Research Finance in compiling, analyzing, and interpreting financial data. Other tasks include working with Research Finance staff to resolve administrative problems, review research expenditures and financial transactions against institutional and sponsor policies, and prepare research reports.Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Assists in the planning, preparing, and analyzing the annual research enterprise operating, extramural, and capital budgets.
- Monitors budgetary variances on a monthly basis.
- Assists in creating, managing, and budgeting various allocations and adjustments as needed.
- Address any questions regarding budget data.
- Monitors and reconciles financial transactions on designated departments and submits corrections or adjustments monthly.
- Maintains and updates startup commitments.
- Assists with monthly management reports.
- Supports special projects as needed.
- Reviews capital equipment purchase requests for accuracy and completeness. Routes request paperwork to the appropriate individuals for signature.
- Works with department and central units to ensure capital equipment is successfully processed for purchase.
- Collaborates with the Research Finance Managers and Accounting to maintain accurate inventory of all capital equipment for audit purposes.
- Assists with new PCOTR project and department setups and closures, funding issues, and extension requests.
- Address any questions regarding restricted and unrestricted gifts.
- Verifies accuracy and completeness of quarterly time and effort reports from Principal Investigators.
- Prepares and updates spreadsheet to track effort and related research activities for audit purposes.
- Maintains professional growth and development and keeps abreast of latest trends in area of expertise.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, or related field. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- Minimum of 3 years of related work experience
- Experience working in a financial or central administration environment within a healthcare or academic organization is preferred.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.