About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
This professional is responsible for providing compassionate, individualized, and sensitive care to patients while assisting them in coping with and minimizing the appearance-related side effects of surgery and cancer treatment. Monitors daily operations of the services and retail business within the Positive Image Center (PIC).
This professional works with multiple departments, teams, and various levels of management across the enterprise and community to develop, implement, and coordinate new educational and group programs within the PIC. This includes but is not limited to: building and maintaining relationships with community organizations such as the American Cancer Society and Look Good Feel Better Foundation. Provides expert consultation on the development of additional Positive Image Center locations within City of Hope's Clinical Network sites. This includes consulting on operational workflows, layout and design of space, and supply chain management. Refers and links patients and families to the Department of Supportive Care and the Patient and Family Resource Center.
Actively participate in marketing, educational and group programs, program development and fundraising efforts, and outreach to patients, families, other City of Hope departments and the community.Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Provides direct patient care, working closely with and assisting patients in coping with and minimizing the appearance-related side effects of surgery and cancer treatment.
- Provides haircuts, head shaves, custom wig fittings, breast prosthesis fittings and other essential services.
- Refers and links patients and families to the Department of Supportive Care Medicine and the Patient and Family Resource Center.
- Collaborates with multiple departments, teams, and various levels of management across the enterprise and community to develop, implement, and coordinate new educational and group programs within the PIC.
- Builds and maintains relationships with community organizations such as the American Cancer Society, the Look Good Feel Better Foundation and multiple other community partners.
- Plans, coordinates and implements special events in collaboration with Development and external partners.
- Provides consultation on operational workflows, layout and design of space, and supply chain management.
- Monitors and coordinates daily operations of retail business including, but not limited to: maintaining and expanding inventory; building vendor relationships; patient encounters database; negotiating pricing; accounting; opening and closing; marketing of products and services; and professional, creative maintenance of store aesthetics/inventory display.
- Oversees training, orientation and supervision of Positive Image Center volunteers
- Participates in the Department of Supportive Care Medicine's Leadership Team Meetings, work teams, retreat planning, and other Department-related initiatives.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 3 years working as a Cosmetologist
Preferred education, experience and skills:
- Cosmetology license required.
- Knowledge of oncology health care and psychosocial needs of cancer patients and families
- Customer service; breast prosthesis fitting
- 3 years working as a Cosmetologist in a healthcare setting, oncology preferred.
- Full-time, day shift
- Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.