About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
Under the supervision of the Center for Comparative Medicine/Animal Care Program Business Manager, this position is responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of the Animal Vivarium system. Works with developers to provide database services, queries and reports for multiple projects. With an eye toward long-term maintainability, uphold database quality assurance and authenticate system updates. Ability to create and facilitate system best practices training for ACP staff and research personnel. Key Responsibilities include:
- Works closely with developers in database design/optimization for multiple system applications. Reorganizes database structure, if necessary, to improve performance. Makes recommendations regarding the purchase of additional hardware to improve performance.
- Monitors database environment to ensure system is performing efficiently under the supervision of the Business Manager.
- Develops, manages, and coordinates all system training needs for ACP staff/research personnel and maintains all training records.
- Introduces new users to system and administers training.
- Coordinates and implements quality assurance program that detects and resolves system shortcomings and training needs to preserve system data.
- Troubleshoot user/system errors, address technical malfunctions and provide system training as needed.
- Monitors and tunes database performance; controls and screens user system access.
- Plans for backup and recovery of database records.
- Produces appropriate technical documentation.
- Attend database-related conferences.
- Mentors colleagues in these areas of technical expertise.
- Maintains professional growth and development and keeps abreast of latest trends in area of expertise.
- Maintains a positive image when dealing with department personnel and other City of Hope Employees.
- Performs special projects and other related duties as assigned or requested.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
Preferred experience, certification and training:
- Bachelor of Science Degree required.
- 3 to 5 years of applicable experience in a laboratory animal research setting.
- AALAS certified at Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician level (or obtained within 6 months of hire).
- Laboratory animal care and medicine.
- AALAS certified at Laboratory Animal Technician level.
- Strong interest in laboratory animal research.
As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. #LI