The department of Neuroscience is seeking a talented Research Assistant to join a multi-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers working on large scale technologies for brain activity and connectivity mapping. The applicant will support a team of leading researchers in experimental neuroscience, computational neuroscience, and machine learning in an effort to discover algorithmic principles that bridge artificial and natural intelligence and link brains to intelligent machines. The goal of the team is to understand the brain's mechanisms of intelligence and engineer smarter AI.
We are hiring someone with NHP and/or large scale electrophysiology experience who will be involved in exciting projects studying brain cognition using state of the art facilities and tour de force large scale electrophysiological recordings including neuropixels. This individual will perform responsible research working with non-human primates.Job Duties
- Plans, directs and conducts research experiments.
- Collects, evaluates and analyzes data.
- Documents results of experiments and reports to principal investigator.
- Trains and orients less experiences staff.
- Assists with protocol development and compliance.
- Regularly inspects and maintains lab equipment and lab facilities to meet sanitation standards that assure the highest quality of animal care.
- Monitors to assure compliance with USDA, PHS, AAALAC, BCM and other relevant regulations, guidelines and policies.
- Interacts and coordinates with veterinary services staff to assure health and welfare of animals.
- Works closely and interacts daily with NHP to assist with aspects of their daily routine.
- Assists with several aspects of surgery preparation and surgery, including organizing and setting up surgery tools, monitoring patient vitals, etc.
- Works with BCM vets and vet techs to assist with pre-operative and post-operative care of NHP patients.
- Works with BCM vets and vet techs to assist with injections, administering medications, and performing anesthetic maintenance and monitoring.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in a basic science or Bachelor's degree in a basic science with 2 years of direct experience.
- Candidates with experience in NHP research and/or large scale electrophysiology will be given preference.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.