This position is exposed to laboratory animals A Post-Doctoral position is available in the Birrer lab, located in the Winthrop P. Rockefeller Cancer Institute. The laboratory is part of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. The lab is seeking a highly motivated individual that is interested in the study of ovarian cancer. Our lab is currently studying multiple biomarkers and molecular signatures that may be used for the early detection and diagnosis of ovarian cancer. We hope these studies will lead to the development of therapeutic targets that can be used in new types of treatments available to ovarian cancer patients. The lab is also currently involved in several cancer clinical trials which are part of the ongoing effort to achieve NCI designation here at UAMS.
The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) has a unique combination of education, research, and clinical programs
that encourages and supports teamwork and diversity. We champion being a collaborative health care organization, focused on improving the health, health care, and well-being of Arkansans.
The safety of our team members at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences is our top priority. For this reason, successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption on file with our Student & Employee Health Services dept. UAMS will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance.
UAMS offers amazing benefits and perks:
- Health: Medical, Dental and Vision plans available for staff and family
- Holiday, Vacation and Sick Leave
- Education discount for staff and dependents (undergraduate only)
- Retirement: Up to 10% matched contribution from UAMS
- Basic Life Insurance up to $50,000
- Career Training and Educational Opportunities
- Merchant Discounts
- Concierge prescription delivery on the main campus when using UAMS pharmacy
Salary offered commensurate with experience
- Study the structure and function of genes and proteins associated in ovarian cancer pathways.
- Perform statistical analysis of data and information related to our ongoing cancer studies and clinical trials .
- Perform tissue culture experiments, extraction of RNA/DNA from cells and other tissues, along with basic molecular biology techniques such as PCR and RT-PCR.
- Plan and participate in upcoming and ongoing animal experiments.
- Assist in other lab duties as assigned.
PhD in cancer biology, pathology, physiology or biochemistry required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work closely with various laboratory animals.
- Protein purification, cell culture, western blotting, and general laboratory experience.
- Extraction of RNA/DNA and use of other standard molecular biology techniques
- Experience with animal models and procedures
- Experience in statistics, graphing, and data analysis
- Applicants should have recent PhD experience in the fields listed above.
- Previous experience in cell culture, animal studies and/or data analysis is preferred.
UAMS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and is committed to excellence. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by telephone at (501) 686-6432 and let us know the nature of your request. We will only respond to messages left that involve a request for a reasonable accommodation in the application process. We will accommodate the needs of any qualified candidate
who requests a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).