Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security. The Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies of Materials Physics and Applications Division (MPA-CINT) at LANL has multiple postdoctoral positions available. We are seeking talented and highly motivated researchers with a strong background in experimental physics in one of the following areas: quantum optics and photonics; metamaterials and metasurfaces; ultrafast optics/terahertz; or quantum sensing/imaging. The position has an initial appointment of two years, with a possible extension for a third year depending on performance and availability of funds.
- A Ph.D. in experimental photonics or a related area completed within the last five years or to be completed soon
- Experience with quantum photonics experiment design, setting up and testing of nonlinear optical systems, optical materials or plasmonic devices
- Ability to conduct original research in areas of quantum, nonlinear and ultrafast optics and/or related topics
- Ability to work harmoniously in a diverse multidisciplinary team.
- Strong writing and communication skills, as evidenced by publications, cover letter and interview
- Experience with single-photon experiments such as generation, detection, correlations and entanglement
- Background on metamaterials and metasurfaces
- Knowledge of cleanroom procedures and fabrication methods for the development of static/dynamic metasurfaces or solid state opto-electronic devices
- Expertise in characterizing the directional emission of individual nanostructures using optical microscopy and spectroscopy techniques, i.e. back focal plane microscopy/spectroscopy
- Experience with characterizing and manipulating individual nanostructures (e.g. quantum emitters, NV centers)
- Knowledge of commercially available simulation software for electromagnetism
- Excellent accomplishment record through publications and conference presentations
- A focus on results with strong interpersonal skills and willingness to work productively on multiple projects
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation, and achievement. It’s one of the reasons we attract world-class talent who contribute greatly to our outstanding culture. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our onsite cafeterias and medical, fitness and breastfeeding facilities, education assistance and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth. Northern New Mexico offers an abundance of wildlife, culture, and adventures, including hiking trails and nearby ski resorts. Learn why Los Alamos has been rated #3 in the Best Counties to Live in the USA.
Apply now: lanl.jobs, search IRC102599 https://lanl.jobs/search/jobdetails/experimental-postdoctoral-research-associate-in-quantum-metasurface/0383b5b3-ca6f-4fc4-8cb3-cacdba31fbed
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status, or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.