Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security. The Group of Physics of Condensed Matter and Complex Systems in the Theoretical Division of LANL is seeking a talented and motivated researcher with a strong background in theoretical physics in one of the following areas: quantum optics and photonics; metamaterials and metasurfaces; quantum electrodynamics; or quantum sensing. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to engage with a dynamic, multidisciplinary theoretical and experimental research team that bridges fundamental and applied science. The position has an initial appointment of two years, with a possible extension for a third year depending on performance and availability of funds.
- A Ph.D. in theoretical physics or a related area completed within the last five years or to be completed soon
- Proven ability to conduct independent research in theoretical physics or in areas requiring similar technical skills
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously in a diverse multidisciplinary team
- Strong writing and communication skills, as evidenced by publications, cover letter and interview
- Knowledge of quantum optics and photonics theory
- Knowledge of theory of quantum sensing and metrology
- Experience in modeling metamaterials and metasurfaces
- Knowledge of commercially available simulation software for electromagnetism
- An excellent track record of publications and experience presenting at conferences
- Willingness to work productively on multiple projects
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation, and achievement. It’s one of the reasons we attract world-class talent who contribute greatly to our outstanding culture. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our onsite cafeterias and medical, fitness and breastfeeding facilities, education assistance and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth. Northern New Mexico offers an abundance of wildlife, culture, and adventures, including hiking trails and nearby ski resorts. Learn why Los Alamos has been rated #3 in the Best Counties to Live in the USA.
Apply now: lanl.jobs, search IRC100840 https://lanl.jobs/search/jobdetails/theory-postdoc-in-quantum-metasurfaces/9a7cf689-8882-465e-9ba2-85406d818aeb
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status, or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.