The lab works on research areas that include aging, cognitive impairment, diabetes, obesity and metabolic complications of infection such as COVID.
The lab is involved to work with humans, mouse models and cell culture studies. Research Technician position is in the Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Department of Medicine. The technician will be working primarily in the lab analyzing the research studies and clinical trials conducted in the principal investigators lab. The technician will require fluency in English, ability to work well as part of a dynamic team, willingness to learn, handle responsibility, perform the routine elements of research work that requires the use of skills, technical and academic knowledge to follow established procedures, ability to record results, and assist the Principal Investigator in all the missions of his lab.Job Duties
- Prepares and conducts laboratory research experiments.
- Performs the routine elements of research work.
- Collects, compiles and analyzes data.
- Conducts literature searches and summarizes information in an appropriate format for assigned studies.
- Documents and records results of experiments.
- Selects, evaluates and applies techniques used in routine research.
- Orders laboratory supplies.
- Attends regular staff meetings and provides detailed updates and presentations.
- Leads and attends regular meetings with research manager, principal investigators, and study team for update reports and process improvement for ongoing studies.
- Participates in projects as directed by principal investigator.
- Calibrates and runs all required equipment in the conduction of studies.
- Collects, processes, ships, and maintains paperwork for blood and/or biological specimens as needed in clinical studies.
- Processes collected samples in the lab as required in the study protocol.
- Provides weekly updates to the principal investigator on all study related matters.
- Maintains accurate records of all lab work.
- Assists the Principal Investigator in all the missions of the lab.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or related field. Four years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- One year of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in a related field.
- Able to work effectively as part of a dynamic team involved in basic and clinical research work effectively with a wide range or collaborating investigators.
- Able to communicate well.
- Able to address issues and be a change agent.
- Analytical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Accountable and responsible.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.