The Baccarelli lab at the Mailman School of Public Health is seeking a Senior Staff Associate I to manage day to day lab operations and conduct experimental procedures as part of an interdisciplinary team of environmental epidemiologists, environmental health scientists, and wet lab epigenetics/molecular biologists. The laboratory conducts large scale environmental and epidemiology studies to investigate environmental programming and mechanisms of human disease. The position reports directly to the assistant lab director, the researcher is in charge of management and planning of research projects involving human samples, will lead new protocol development with particular emphasis on problem solving and the development of new techniques. The successful candidate has a high level of expertise in research and is able to solve a broad range of complex problems. Supervisory role to other staff members working in the lab.
- Design, organize, and conduct highly specialized and advanced experiments (25%)
- Collect and analyze research data; create detailed documentation of experiments and research data (25%)
- Supervising and guidance to staff, technicians, students and researchers (15%)
- Ordering and managing inventory of lab supplies (15%)
- Perform quality control and maintain equipment, managing day-to-day operations in the lab (10%)
- Work with Assistant lab Director on project timelines and cost (5%)
- Performs related duties & responsibilities as assigned/requested (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and at least 6 years of related research experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize and prioritize within a changing environment
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to troubleshoot protocols
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrate leadership skills and ability to supervise staff members
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills and work as team player
- Demonstrate initiative and attention to detail
- Master’s degree in related field and at least 4 years of related research experience.
- Previous experience with handling large scale studies with human samples preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran