CVPath Institute, Inc., located in Gaithersburg, MD, is a cardiovascular Institute that offers consultation services to provide bench-to-bedside research services to clients worldwide. We are currently seeking to fill an open position in the Molecular Biology lab, which focuses on basic biological research within the cardiovascular field. As a cardiovascular research institute, we have the advantage of deriving genomic and phenotypic data from human tissue samples and then applying that information to investigate the underlying molecular mechanisms. Additionally, we can reverse that logic to determine if our basic molecular findings correlate with pathological phenotypes. Research areas within the lab focus on atherosclerosis, coronary artery disease, macrophage inflammation and angiogenesis, genetics of sudden cardiac death, endothelial dysfunction, and lipoprotein metabolism. This position is unique as it also offers the opportunity to work on client-based research projects, which provides exposure to and experience with industry practices.
CVPath Institute, Inc. offers an intellectually exciting, collegial, and supportive environment for postdoctoral fellows. Postdoctoral Fellows will have the advantage of working side-by-side with a variety of scientists and medical professionals with expertise in cardiovascular pathology and interventional cardiology. Health benefits, including Medical, Dental, and Vision are available as well as standard PTO. Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, 12-month appointment with the possibility for yearly renewal, dependent upon performance and continued funding.
Primary Responsibilities may include:
- Design small animal experiments
- Perform sterile and non-sterile surgery on small animals
- Harvest animal tissue for histological processing
- Perform histologic assessments by light microscopy and immunohistochemistry
- Perform morphometry and data analysis on tissue samples
- Perform molecular and biochemical techniques to better understand disease processes
- Prepare grants and proposals for agency funding
- Prepare research reports and manuscripts for publication
Candidates must have a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or M.D. with research experience) in Vascular Biology, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Physiology, or associated discipline and 2 or fewer years of relevant postdoctoral experience. Prior hands-on experience with cell culture, basic molecular biology techniques, and confocal imaging is necessary. Prior experience with animal models of cardiovascular disease is a plus. Other requirements include the ability to work independently, as well as part of a team, strong verbal and written communication skills in English, strong motivation, and most importantly a high level of creativity and enthusiasm for science. The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously is a critical requirement.
Candidates should have a track record of scientific productivity as evidenced by first-author publications and be able to independently design and carry out experiments. Candidates must be authorized to work in the US for any employers.
The application should include:
- Cover letter addressed to Dr. Saikat Ghosh with a brief description of the candidate’s interest in the position, research experience, and long-term career goals
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two reference letters (preferably from the Ph.D. advisor and current postdoctoral advisor, if the applicant is currently a postdoctoral fellow)
Please email all materials as one PDF file to Dr. Ghosh (SGhosh@cvpath.org).
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.