The Research Assistant I position on the Human Genome Sequencing Center's (HGSC) Library-Automation/CLIA COVID 19 workgroup will apply expertise in the area of genomic sequencing to clinical samples for the ongoing COVID testing/research and clinical sequencing projects. These projects are highly visible and impact the national reputation of the HGSC and of Baylor College of Medicine. Recent COVID testing samples have significantly increased and nearly doubled. Also, we are continuing to see clinical sample throughput and the All of Us sequencing project is expected to be seeing sample throughput within the next two months. Job Duties
- Work independently and within a team to process samples in the production pipeline, as well as work on projects including protocol development and optimization.
- Work under the direction of the team leader and the group manager.
- Document experiment procedures. Collect, compile, evaluate and analyze data. Interpret detailed assay procedures and test results.
- Perform laboratory research projects and production tasks.
- Update LIMS, sample tracking and summarize data in an appropriate format.
- Prepare reagent, solutions, and oligos used for production.
- Perform routine laboratory equipment maintenance and log records as required.
- Track the inventory for reagents and report when furthering order is needed.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in biological science or equivalent.
- ASCP or equivalent certification.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.