A salaried, part-time position for grant-funded study to facilitate and deliver the program: "Papás Saludables, Niños Saludables". The position includes assisting the Principal Investigator, Project Manager and Research Team in the recruiting and delivery of an obesity prevention program for Hispanic fathers and their children. The position requires skills in communicating and recruiting, as well as delivering physical activity and nutrition education programming for men and children in Spanish and English. There may be opportunity to work on other funded studies in the future. Bilingual in Spanish and English is required.
For more information about Dr. O'Connor's research please visit:
- Attend and pass BCM certified training on HIPAA and human subject research.
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of the program Papas Saludables Niños Saludables.
- Assist with recruiting, Hispanic families in English or Spanish to participate in "Papás Saludables, Niños Saludables" study. Includes attending community meetings and events for study recruitment; and networking and collaborating with organizations in the community for recruitment purposes.
- Attend training and pass certification to deliver the "Papás Saludables, Niños Saludables" program.
- Provide project manager and principal investigator with reports on study progress, data forms, and intervention implementation.
- Attend project staff meetings.
- Assist with administrative duties of research study such as audit preparation, assisting in preparing the study reports, monetary disbursements, and organizing participant files.
- Adhere to Behavioral Nutrition Group and study guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to be caring and engaging with children and fathers through specific and positive affirmation, when implementing the program.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written) and interpersonal skills with investigators, staff, and participants (parents and children).
- Organized and routinely planning ahead to deliver each session according to the previous training and working with a medium size group of children and their dads to maintain appropriate order.
- Ability to motivate parents and children to participate in the study and recommend it to family and friends.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Three years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- College course in nutrition, exercise physiology, kinesiology, fitness and sports, exercise science, athletic training or related field a plus.
- Experience working with children, preferred.
- Some program delivery, teacher or leading groups experience, preferred.
- Skill and comfort with using PC computers including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Survey Monkey (or equivalent) software programs.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English is required.
Working Conditions: Work will be conducted at the Children's Nutrition Research Center (CNRC), local YMCA Centers and pediatric clinic locations. Hours will include weekend hours. Flexibility and adaptability in work schedule and carrying out job duties.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift and move required physical activity equipment and toys. Ability to demonstrate fundamental movement skills and exercise to fathers and children.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.