We are seeking a talented Research Assistant to join our team. The Chao Laboratory ( https://www.bcm.edu/research/labs/hsiao-tuan-chao ) is located at the Jan and Dan Duncan Neurological Research Institute, which is affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children's Hospital. Our team is engaged in basic and translational neuroscience, genetics, and human disease research with a focus on neural circuit development and function. Disorders that we are studying include epilepsy, autism, neurodevelopmental, and psychiatric conditions. We utilize multiple approaches including human genetics, fruit fly and mouse models, molecular biology, cell culture, electrophysiology, and animal behavior. We are looking for a motivated, organized, enthusiastic, and resourceful scientist with expertise in molecular biology, genetics, or neuroscience to accelerate our efforts to elucidate childhood neurologic disorders such as epilepsy, autism, and intellectual disability. Excellent communication and documentation skills will be critical for this position. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to identify novel neurologic disorders, implement multidisciplinary techniques, learn new skills, and be part of a collaborative workplace. Job Duties
- Uses molecular biology, cell culture, behavioral analysis, and imaging techniques to examine genetic changes and construct functional studies in fruit fly and mouse models.
- Designs and complete PCR, qPCR, and Western blot techniques.
- Performs research experiments such as molecular cloning, RNA/DNA extraction and tissue culture.
- Maintains and assists in development of fruit fly and/or mouse models.
- Occasionally interviews, screens, recruits, and schedules patients for study.
- Maintains records and regulatory documents for research studies and protocols.
- Disseminates data and tools to collaborating laboratories.
- Documents results and prepares them for presentation.
- Designs and conducts research experiments.
- Summarizes research findings and publishes results in research journals.
- Maintains lab equipment and supplies inventory.
- Helps manage projects and the lab.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in a related field.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.