1. General Information:
Job Title: Associate Scientist, Manufacturing Sciences & Technology (MSAT) Drug Substance (DS)
Job file code: 600089
Department: Global Technology and Engineering (GT&E),
Department Group: Large Molecule Technologies (LMT)
Position Level Associate Scientist
Position Reports to: Senior Manager, GT&E, MSAT DS
2. JOB PURPOSE: Qualified candidates will deliver results in a fast-paced matrix-oriented setting, be a contributor to key process purification steps and hold responsibility for various downstream process development activities. This advertised role is in support of products and process development for biotherapeutics and vaccines, including antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates, therapeutic proteins, and polysaccharides in commercial operations and late-stage clinical development. The candidate will work across downstream purification functions, projects, and global sites.
3. JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• The MSAT downstream purification group is responsible for providing support to the upstream team, as well as downstream development purification/optimization activities and providing support to routine manufacturing operations
• Candidate should have in-depth scientific knowledge and experience in a wide array of techniques such as UF/DF, Flow through Column Chromatography as well as Bind and Elute Chromatography and ideally familiar with standard downstream equipment, e.g. AKTAs
• Development and qualification of purification techniques
• Ensure the proper and timely execution in all aspects of purification processing to support group activities
• Perform scale-down purifications of biologics using precipitation, depth filtration, ultrafiltration and chromatography with the assistance of lab supervisor/designee
• Qualified candidates will serve as a purification and biochemistry resource for the department and project teams, while proactively keeping historical product knowledge and experience.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• B.A./B.S in science or engineering
• Demonstrated technical writing skills and effective communication are strongly desired.
• Experience with technologies focused on purification of biomolecules and polysaccharides such as AKTA, UF/DF, Column Chromatography
DESIRABLE (one or more areas):
• Knowledge and experience in Critical Quality Attributes (CQA) principles and practices and product specifications and specification setting.
• Demonstrated technical skills and scientific expertise in purification process development and troubleshooting
• Experience with Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, etc.
OTHER ATTRIBUTES DESIRABLE:
• Change agile, functional in a fast-paced team environment where multi-tasking required.
• Enthusiastic about communicating to a broad range of stakeholders (from novices to experts) and seeking agreement in complex situations.
• Curiosity about seeking and applying current relevant scientific literature.
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development