The Ocular Research Associate is a member of the Ocular Research Group within the Research Department. This individual will be primarily responsible for conducting and developing quantitative HPLC/UHPLC, LC-MS and LC-MS/MS-based assays to support the development and testing of novel gene therapy products.
• Develop and optimize sample preparation methods to facilitate quantitative analysis of small molecule biomarkers and proteins
• Develop, optimize, and conduct quantitative mass spectrometry (LC-MS, LC-MS/MS) and HPLC/UHPLC assays for small molecules and proteins
• Perform corresponding data analysis for characterization of small molecule biomarkers and proteins
• Manage and perform maintenance, quality control and troubleshooting for instruments (UHPLCs and mass spectrometers).
• Participate in sample management activities such as receiving, processing, storage and shipping preclinical samples.
• Accurately document assay results and analyze data using an electronic lab notebook, technical documents, and other reporting formats.
• Guide new and existing employees that will allow them to achieve autonomous operation in the lab ensuring work is completed according to project timelines.
• Contribute to a collaborative, creative and rigorous culture of scientific discovery
Plan, prepare and perform experiments on the bench to support the Ocular Platform research projects. Assist technical staff in the performance of laboratory experiments as needed.
Analyze results, prepare technical reports, and accurately document work in an electronic lab notebook. Prepare PowerPoint presentations of results as needed. Communicate results and research progress during team meetings as needed.
Participate in group meetings, scientific discussions, and provide support to more junior staff, as needed.
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s in a relevant field preferred.
• Minimum of 3 years of laboratory experience.
• Proven hands-on experience with sample preparation, conducting and data analysis for UHPLC & LC-MS based assays
• Proven hands-on experience with performing maintenance, quality control and troubleshooting for UHPLCs and mass spectrometers
• Experience with method and assay development for LC-MS based experiments
• Experience with ThermoFisher Vanquish UHPLCs, ISQ EC Single Quad Mass Spec and TSQ Altis Triple Quadrupole Mass Spec is a plus
• Experience with ThermoFisher Chromeleon CDS 7.3 and Excalibur is a plus.
• Experience with proteomics and data analysis for proteomics is a plus.
• Tissue processing, histology, and immunohistochemistry/FISH experience is a plus.
• Experience with AAV vectors is a plus.
• Experience with cell-based and molecular biology assays with a variety of readout technologies, such as but not limited to cell culture, flow cytometry, DNA/RNA/protein extraction, qPCR, ELISA, and Western analysis is a plus.
• Experience with mammalian cell culture techniques including primary cell lines, tissue explant culture, organoids, cell characterization/differentiation, transient transfection, and viral transduction is a plus.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
• Proven ability to conduct and develop quantitative HPLC/UHPLC, LC-MS and LC-MS/MS-based assays
• Proven ability to perform maintenance, quality control and troubleshooting for UHPLCs and mass spectrometers
• Proven ability to work independently in a hands-on laboratory setting, self-motivated to learn and develop new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies.
• Ability to critically analyze problems, develop potential solutions, and troubleshoot experiments
• Familiarity with Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) and Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) is a plus.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
• Works with colleagues as a team player.
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.