Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.What You Will Achieve
We are seeking a chemist/chemical engineer to join the Chemical Research and Development (CRD) Manufacturing team in Groton. The successful candidate will join a dynamic team responsible for manufacture of API at kilo lab scale. They will apply chemical process knowledge, safety specific scale up principles, coordination and documentation for process understanding and manufacture.
CRD, as part of Worldwide R&D in Pharmaceutical Sciences, is responsible for the development of process technology for the production of API. CRD scientists engage in all facets of development from small scale synthesis in support of medicinal chemistry programs, to the development of the commercial synthetic route. CRD scientists partner with manufacturing specialists for API synthesis in kilo-lab and pilot plant facilities, as well as provide support for technology transfer to Pfizer manufacturing sites and third party facilities.
The successful candidate, working closely with chemists, engineers, analysts and quality organizations, will lead the technology transfer implementation and scale up of the developed process in our kilo lab facility. Given the dynamic team environment, strong interpersonal and communication skills are essential.How You Will Achieve It
- Interfacing with process chemists (locally and from other Pfizer sites) to ensure that processes are safe and operable within the facility.
- Development of manufacturing instructions
- Raw material ordering and tracking
- On the floor monitoring/supervision of API manufacturing processes.
- Process and equipment troubleshooting.
- Engagement with kilo lab technicians to ensure a complete understanding of the process and facilitate input on potential process improvements.
- Lead process safety reviews, interface with Process Safety lab to understand all process safety testing data, identify and implement safety improvements, knowledge of all processing equipment design specifications including pressure ratings, vent sizes, relief design, containment capabilities etc.
- Interface with process chemists, analysts, materials management, and QA to ensure alignment of all activities necessary to support production
- Author campaign summaries to capture process performance, cost, and suggestions for future development and manufacturing strategies
- Identification, design, and implementation of new manufacturing technologies
- Routinely leverage existing new technologies such as PAT and high shear wet milling to increase manufacturing efficiency and maximize process learnings from each manufacturing run.
- Minimum: BS in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with 5 years of experience in process engineering/supervision or process development OR MBA/Ms with 4+ years of experience.
- Proficient in knowledge of cGMP and process safety.
- Excellent oral and written communication skill and a demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multidiscipline team environment.
- Experience in direct scale-up of laboratory processes in kilo lab facilities.
- A good foundational understanding of organic chemistry.
- Working knowledge of chemical engineering principles including; reaction kinetics, thermodynamics, heat and mass transport, and reactor design.
- Experience in supporting scale-up and technology transfer to pilot or commercial scale facilities
- Experience using automated reactors and associated equipment (dosing pumps, pH meters, etc).
- Familiarity with eLN and Axis360 software also preferred.
- Experience in authoring laboratory and/or manufacturing process tech transfer instructions.
- Fundamental knowledge of UPLC, MS, and NMR
- Working knowledge of application of in-situ analysis tools to process understanding including: FTIR, FBRM, UV/Vis
- Working knowledge of property prediction and simulation computational tools including: DynoChem, Visimix, Aspen, and Cosmotherm.
Other Job Details:
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
- Relocation support available
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development