The Senior Principal Scientist is a scientific leadership role within the Molecular Pharmaceutics group, The Molecular Pharmaceutics group supports early stage drug and drug product design, biopharmaceutics understanding and early clinical drug delivery strategy of new small molecules within the Internal Medicine, Immunology and Inflammation and Rare Disease therapeutic areas.
Key activities/abilities include:
- Understanding of the connectivity of molecular structure, complex solution kinetics, thermodynamics, diffusion and permeation of molecules across membranes.
- Strong fundamental understanding of molecular/supramolecular interactions of small molecules in solution/suspension/colloid systems.
- Ability and interest to understand and probe molecular/supramolecular interactions of small molecules in polymer and lipid matrices.
- Efficient application of existing advanced modeling and simulation tools for predictive small molecule drug behavior; such as stability or bioperformance of small molecules.
- Development of novel advanced modeling and simulation tools for predictive characteristics of small molecules, i.e. application of solution thermodynamics and kinetics to understand the transport of small organic molecule drugs across biological membranes.
- Development and advancement of fundamental concepts to improve predictive capabilities; such as the connection of in vitro small molecule attributes to stability, physical-chemical properties or in vivo performance.
- Maintain an awareness of and contribute to current relevant scientific literature.
- Conduct novel scientific research and present significant findings via internal and external presentations or publications.
- Molecular Pharmaceutics lead scientist will provide scientific leadership and strategic direction for the fundamental understanding of key connectivity of molecular structure, solution behavior, diffusion behavior and permeation characteristics and apply this understanding towards optimal drug and drug delivery system design.
- Applies multidisciplinary fundamentals and principles (from pharmaceutics, physical/physical organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry and/or supramolecular chemistry) to impact drug candidate design, characterization, formulation, evaluation and performance.
- Teaches, mentors and coaches colleagues across the Pfizer organization.
- Cultivates sustainable and effective relationships with internal partners and stakeholders, i.e., partner lines in Med Design, PharmSci Small Molecule (PSSM), Clinical Pharmacology (ClinPharm), Drug Safety (DSRD), relevant Research Units, and Pharmacokinetics, Dynamics, and Metabolism (PDM).
- Advances scientific research and expands capability in the areas of molecular design-drug delivery, biopharmaceutics and drug formulation.
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- PhD in Pharmaceutics, Physical Chemistry, Physical Organic Chemistry, Biophysical Chemistry or related discipline with 5-10 years relevant experience or BS/MS in Pharmaceutics, Physical Chemistry, Physical Organic Chemistry, Biophysical Chemistry or related discipline with a minimum of 10+ years relevant experience.
- Experience in understanding, applying and/or modeling of physicochemical, solubility/dissolution behavior o biophysical transport phenomena;design, interpretation and use of in vitro experiments to model complex multidimensional systems.
- A strong interest and motivation to learn and implement new technologies, models and concepts.
- Extensive practical experience working within cross-disciplinary teams and achieving results in a matrix environment.
- Excellent organizational and communication (oral and written) skills.
- The ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively across various disciplines.
- Proven track record of mentoring and coaching junior scientists.
- Understanding of drug discovery and development concepts.
- Experience in actively developing and advancing scientific initiatives and external collaborations.
- Collaborative and effective partnering skills applied in a complex, multi-disciplinary organizational model.
- High degree of self-awareness and emotional intelligence.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Sitting and standing
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to perform complex data analysis
Other Job Details:
- Occasional travel required between Pfizer sites in Groton, CT, Boulder, CO and La Jolla, CA.
#LI-PFEPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
- Eligible for Relocation Package: YES
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus: YES
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development