About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.Position Summary
Prepares patients to see physician, facilitates lab tests and other physician orders as needed. Assists the Clinical Director with clinical duties and procedures as directed.Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Greets patients and escorts them from the waiting room to exam rooms; prepares patients for exam or treatment.
- Prepares exam rooms with necessary instruments prior to patient appointment.
- Assists physicians in preparing for examinations and minor procedures.
- Performs basic nursing procedures including thermal applications, non-sterile soaks and applications of simple dressing, perineal care and urine test.
- Obtains and documents patient vital signs in EMR, including temperature, blood pressure, height/weight, respiration and pulse.
- Obtains and documents patient's favorite pharmacy, smoking history, allergies, current medication list and/or reconciles the current medication list.
- Prior to patient appointment assures all reports and other medical information are current in EMR.
- Maintains a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for the patient and their families.
- Pre-certifies surgical and other procedures, if appropriate.
- Answers M.A. phones, takes messages, enters messages in EMR and returns phone calls on same day.
- Schedules tests and off-site procedures when necessary.
- Prepares and maintains supplies and equipment for treatments, including sterilization.
- Disposes of contaminated items according to OSHA guidelines.
- Handles laboratory specimens according to OSHA and CLIA guidelines.
- Transmits patient education when appropriate through the use of preprinted education materials, links, etc.
- Replenishes supplies, stocks and cleans exam room daily.
- Takes medical stock inventory and communicates supply shortage to Clinical Director.
- Maintains company code of conduct and patient confidentiality as regulated by HIPPA.
- Attends annual CPR, OSHA and CLIA training programs as applicable.
- Attends all staff meetings.
- High school diploma.
- Training in specialty specific assisting a plus.
- One year experience in primary care clinical assisting preferred.
- Experience performing lab test and processing lab and diagnostic study orders.
- Experience with Electronic Medical Records (EMR) preferred.
- Certified Medical Assistant, current/valid CPR certification (BLS from American Heart Association).
- This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement.
- Full-time, day shift, 80 hours biweekly
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.