About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.Position Summary
Working under the general direction and guidance of the Chairman, Department of Pathology and Director of Clinical Pathology under Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988, CFR Section 493, this position directs the daily workflow of the Microbiology Section including work assignments and result review. Monitors the competency and performance of employees providing diagnostic testing within the scope of work within the section. Ensures that procedure and methods are performed according to section / department protocol, including quality control parameters and result reporting. Provides technical expertise in the use, calibration, maintenance and troubleshooting of all lab instruments, equipment reagents and procedures. Performs routine and specialized procedures as necessary. Works with Department Director and other development staff to evaluate and introduce new test methods into the department. Meets objectives and expectations as established for all City of Hope employees by the medical center leadership.Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Direct daily workflow assigned to the work section.
- Provide coverage for personnel absences.
- Review department scheduling needs; Provide timely written work schedule for all employees.
- Ensure adequate bench coverage to meet service needs.
- Reviews, and reports time and attendance reports.
- Ensures that all staff are properly trained.
- Participates and monitors CLS training program in Microbiology.
- Provides summary of deviations and or staffing issues to Technical Director and Division Chief.
- Writes and updates section SOP's and policies.
- New procedures will be written and old procedures updated on on-going basis.
- Develop and maintain expertise in the section's computer system database and provides help when updates/ changes are necessary (at least annually).
- Ensures that test cost accounting, CPT coding are accurate and up to date.
- Ensures that supply inventories are adequate to meet service needs.
- Updates personal skill and knowledge to remain current and proficient in the section.
- Consults with Medical Director regarding technical issues as appropriate
- Reviews proficiency survey program activities and ensures proper response; assists in instrument/testing method correlation / validation studies as needed; performs bench work as assigned.
- Receives and investigates complaints.
- Reviews pertinent information, performs investigations as necessary.
- Reports complaints and occurrences to QRRM (TIPS) for tabulation and trending; maintains department QA indicators and monitors activity.
- Follows up as needed to ensure that problems are corrected.
- Also reviews and prepares QA procedures and activities; troubleshoots issues as necessary.
- Ensures that QA/QC programs comply with all regulatory guidelines.
- Resolves patient testing activity problems / issues.
- Assists laboratory management in providing input for Strategic Planning, annual budget, performance reviews, personnel recruitment and disciplinary activities; reports budget variations and workload fluctuations to management and derives remedies to issues revealed.
- Participates in committee activities, task forces and improvement teams as necessary
- Assists with the complete instrument and or testing method correlation prior to anticipated implementation.
- Follows change control procedures as outlined in SOPs.
- Communicates changes to staff in effective/timely manner.
- Ensures that competency documentation is completed with each change.
- Assists with section and corporate initiatives as defined.
- Ensures that changes are implanted in orderly process
- BS Degree in clinical laboratory sciences
- Completion of one year practical training at an accredited training institution.
- Minimum 5 years experience in clinical laboratory operations, including relevant recent experience in Microbiology or related discipline, competency in organization, human relations, communication, leadership, problem-solving, statistical analysis and computer skills, laboratory information systems and regulatory standards and requirements.
- California Clinical Laboratory Scientist or Specialist Licensure
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual withdisability. #LI-AH