Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security. We are seeking a Theoretical Modeling of Quantum States and Dynamics of Nanomaterials Scientist at either the 2 or 3 level to join our Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies (CINT), a U.S. DOE BES user facility, and perform research in areas related to the Quantum Materials Systems (QMS) thrust’s research themes, such as exploring interactions between quantum systems and the environment, discovering emergent phenomena in quantum materials, theoretical modeling of novel quantum states and transport and dynamics of quantum materials systems.
You will be expected to develop collaborative relationships with CINT users, contribute to the strategic direction of CINT, actively partner with experimental teams at CINT and LANL, and interact with sponsors to develop and contribute to other fundamental and applied research programs. At Scientist Level 3, you will be required to contribute substantially to setting the strategic directions for the QMS Thrust and interact with a broad set of sponsors beyond BES who may benefit from CINT advances in areas ranging from national security to applied energy programs.
Requirements Scientist 2 or 3 (experience will determine classification):
- Ph.D. in theoretical condensed matter or material physics, quantum chemistry or related discipline and 0-5 years of relevant work experience
- Experience performing high-impact research focused on theory work in the areas of quantum materials and systems
- Record of scientific research achievements (peer-reviewed publications, citations, presentations, intellectual properties) in the areas of quantum materials and systems
- Experience developing theoretical capabilities for two or more among:
- Novel states of quantum matter
- Transport properties at nanoscale
- Ultrafast optical response
- Recognized national reputation as evidenced by invited presentations and services on scientific societal committees at the national level
- Experience leading research as a principal investigator on collaborative research projects, supervising technical support personnel or a research group
- Demonstrated broad knowledge of experimental techniques in nanoscience
- Experience performing theoretical investigations of various nano and quantum materials, such as topological insulators, semiconductors, transition metal oxides and two-dimensional materials
- Experience in machine learning for materials science and working at a national-user facility
- Experience mentoring students or postdocs
- Experience with proposal writing
- Familiarity with DOE-BES
- The ability to obtain a DOE “Q” level clearance, which usually requires US citizenship
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation and achievement. It’s one of the reasons we attract world-class talent who contribute greatly to our outstanding culture. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our onsite cafeterias and medical, fitness and breastfeeding facilities, education assistance and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth.
Apply Now: lanl.jobs, search IRC94493:
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.